Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2007 MDX in January from an Acura dealership in the DC area and carfax was clean - no reported accidents etc..

I noticed a crack in the driver side rear door frame area. Is this something I should be concerned with structurally that would impact the safety of car?

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
Get an estimate from a couple of body shops, then go show it to the Acura dealer.

Use the knowledge that you get from the body shops, to determine if you should pressure Acura to fix it.

About "carfax"...they're not perfect and if you listen closely to their advertising, they say "most of the time". They also get info from a variety of shops and shops mess up paper work all the time.

Ask the Acura dealer to run a fresh "carfax" for you and compare it (mainly the dates) to your original copy.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Did you run the carfax yourself before buying the vehicle? I know some of the reports that are pulled come with a Carfax guarantee against these sort of things. Not sure though how effective those things are in resolving as it's most likely more of a marketing tactic than anything.

It definitely seems like some sort of accident to me. One sign is the rust spot below the crack. That area should not rust at all as it's not directly exposed to road debris and such.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll run a magnet over it when I get home, are you suggesting that if the magnet doesn't stick right there then it's probably fiberglass?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Run a magnet over it and see if there's any fiberglass in there. I can't think of how metal could possibly crack like that.
Magnet definitely slides right over that crack. I tested spots around it and everywhere else seemed fine. Do you think this could be a safety issue given the location of the crack?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
perhaps the seatbelt buckle was there and the door was slammed on it, there looks to be a dent the size of the nub of the buckle on the second image. That would certainly crack the paint as the paint in the area is not designed to flex with a dent like bumpers are.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Magnet definitely slides right over that crack. I tested spots around it and everywhere else seemed fine. Do you think this could be a safety issue given the location of the crack?
Nah. Like csmeance mentioned, something like that probably happened in the past and it was repaired.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts