Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I do not have this problem. But if it leaks so badly, my bet is the oil pump seal is bad. Time to do a complete timing belt job. What is the mileage?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Yep.. If you cannot trace back the leak to anywhere higher than the Crankshaft pulley? its definitely the Oil Pump or Front Main Seal.

·
Registered
961 Posts
As with all leaks, the fluid can sometimes travel a distance from its actual source. It is in the area of the oil filter-to-block adapter, so that is also a possibility. (Cracked, leaking O-Ring, etc). The amount of oil coming out suggests leakage from a component under full oil pressure, rather than a leaking seal. Oil pump is, of course, also a prime suspect. You may be able to see better if you wash the whole area off with a few cans of brake cleaner.

You will need the special crankshaft pulley removal tool to get behind the timing cover to inspect the pump and seal.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
597 Posts
Oil leaks can come from many different places. It is hard to say. My recommendation is you clean the engine and then check which area is getting wet first. The drain plug is a low point in the engine, this means oil is very likely to collect at that point but it is not necessarily at the drain.

Now, with the age of the engine, I would look for

1. valve cover gaskets
2. front crankshaft gasket
3. oil pressure switches on top, behind and around the oil filter spool valve assembly. There many o-rings and oil seals there.

Font Line Parallel Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thank you so much for your advice, I brought mdx ready for winter but so far I’m spend around 1k to fixed little thing and now deal with all the gasket. How long will 2007 mdx last. Thanks
MDX last for a loooong time if well taken care of. Look at the thread of "How many miles in your 2nd Gen MDX" here in this forum and you will see folks with 300K+ miles. I own a 2008 from brand new and now it is 160K+ miles and I consider it in near perfect condition. My rule of thumb is to spend around $1K to $2K per year in parts and be proactive as much as I can in keeping the car in such near perfect condition. I understand my advantage is I DIY everything in my cars, meaning I only spend in parts and once in a while in a special tool. I also keep my own stock of parts that I know I will need within one or two years. That practice has helped me a lot during this pandemic because I lost my job due to C-19 one year ago and still looking for one. But, I still have many parts to keep my car running because I have lots of parts on hand.

In contrast, I have a friend whom kind of neglected his MDX over the years and this year I fixed it for him after spending $5K+ in parts. He now has a very good 190K miles MDX and he is happy with the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My mdx had 118400 miles on it drive great I love Acura, I wish I could fix car by myself. I might get my car fix in next few week, tight budget now. Can I drive my car for next few week or just park in garage for now. Thank.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My mdx had 118400 miles on it drive great I love Acura, I wish I could fix car by myself. I might get my car fix in next few week, tight budget now. Can I drive my car for next few week or just park in garage for now. Thank.
Sure you can drive it as it must be a small leak, specially if the engine just leaves few small oil drops in the driveway/garage. Not, if the leak leaves a puddle of oil.
Always check the engine oil level though. I hope you know how to do that basic measurement. Oil should be between the cross lines at the tip of the dipstick.

·
Registered
2009 MDX DIY Projects - All Fluids, Brakes, Front CV Axles, Alternator, Timing belt
8 Posts
Oil looks very clean, are you sure its engine oil? I had a leak coming down from the same area but it was the power steering pump seal leaking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don’t know where come from, but it drop where drain plug, it’s happened before so I took to the shop they replaced washer and day later i notice few drop from drain plug and oil pan kinna wet, it’s fresh oil. Hope not something major damage, I’m not driving now because small leak can be burst any time. Would you think I can drive or take to the shop. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last few day only wet at drain plug and little on oil pan and yesterday I put cardboard under oil pan I saw 2 spot on cardboard i don’t know leak getting worse, hope not blowing head gasket. Thank you Ronnie.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts