Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 MDX is having some intermittent starting problems. First off, I have a new battery, and alternator is good. It never needs a jump to start once this issue happens, just needs some time and it doesnt seem to matter if car is warm or cold.

Problem - I insert key to start car, Power steering wheel comes out, lights work in dash, door chimes, I turn key to start and I get nothing. Now it seems to be in lock out mode and If i try to turn the key it is as if everything is completely dead. If I open the door and then shut it again, its like i reset the system and i can repeat the process and it still does not work.

I wait a while, and tried again, and now it works. This has happened a few times. After it starts, I need to enter the radio code as if the battery went dead.

I tried both my wifes key and my key, thinking maybe my battery is going dead in my key fob, and maybe this is causing the issue. My wifes key fob battery is pretty new and this has only happened to her once. I replaced the battery in my key fob and the car started, but could have been a coincidence.

Anyone have this same issue or have an idea what it could be?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sounds like a corroded connection, incorrect seated battery terminal posts, bad ground issue.

First check to make sure you're battery posts are tight. Then I would check all the ground points.

Often times, if you have a loose battery connection, it may power low draw items like radio and cluster but will not be enough for starting a car.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Two things to try when this happens:

1. Try starting the vehicle in neutral

2. Remove the key from the keychain to try to start it. Something on the keychain may be interfering with the transponder signal.

Probably not the two above since you lose memory, but worth a shot. Barring that:

3. Using jumper cables, connect just the negative to the negative side of the battery, and the other side to the frame. This would eliminate a bad ground at the terminus of the negative cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone. I will try these things. I did get a new battery in my key fob, and everything has worked so far. Waiting for it to happen again, and will trouble shoot again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts