Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’m the new owner of a 2007 MDX with about 156k miles on it. I got it with extensive service records and it seems to be in really fantastic shape overall.

Last Friday I took it in for inspection and was told that it had just 2 issues which are both oil leaks. The first leak is the rear main seal. The tech seemed to be under the impression that this wasn’t worth fixing at the moment since it’s a minor leak and the repair is expensive. The other leak was sort of glossed over. I believe that the tech said it was something like an “oil filter adaptor” leak, but didn’t say much else.

Anyways, I was willing to accept that these leaks seemed fairly inconsequential and went on my merry way until yesterday when I drove up about 2 miles of steady incline and parked at the top. To my surprise, smoke was coming out of the engine. It wasn’t a ton of smoke (if the fans were blowing on the radiator, you’d have a tough time actually seeing it), but it was definitely present and persisted for at least the 4 or 5 minutes that I was parked up there (engine still idling). It doesn’t smell sweet or anything and the exhaust still looks good. I’d love to get more specific about where it was coming from in the engine bay, but it was a little winfy

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I’m hoping someone will say that this is caused by one of the above leaks and is either inconsequential (as long as I regularly check oil) or is an easy fix. Oil levels seem fine and I can’t find any pools after parking overnight, but I guess I’m just a little worried since the smoke persisted for so long.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Depending on how the oil travels from the leak before it actually drips it could drip on the exhaust and that could cause the smoke. A very slow leak won't drip frequently and therefor the timing of the drip plays a significant role in how you observe it. If it happens while driving down the road at 70 mph it blows to who knows where, but if it happens just as you are parking you could get what happened. No way to know for sure without observing of course and the most common smoke producing leaks happen higher up on the motor like a valve cover gasket which isn't terribly common on these motors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts