Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 mdx

I bough mine on Dec 28, 2015- today is Jan 1, 2016. My MDX will not start this afternoon because of the battery. I have to jump start 2 days after buying MDX. The battery looks good. Why????? Also passenger airbag off all the time. Why??? I though MDX is quiet reliable but it broke down after 2 day of buying.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
We've updated our reliability stats for the MDX to include owner experiences through the end of 2015, about eight months ahead of other sources. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year--lower is better:

2013 MDX: 15, low, small sample size
2012 MDX: 25, low
2011 MDX: 27, low
2010 MDX: 24, low
2009 MDX: 28, low
2008 MDX: 68, moderate
2007 MDX: 45, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2012 MDX: 81, < 1
2008 MDX: 55, 7
2007 MDX: 65, 3

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Acura MDX reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
104 Posts
2007-2013 MDX reliability absolutely sucks the big wazoo! I have replaced so many major parts out of warranty that I've lost count and spent many, many thousands of dollars out of pocket. Here's just what I remember from the painful journey from 0 to 116k mi on my 07 MDX Sport:

-3 full sets of shocks after the second set of ADS died (yes all four of them!), I finally dumped that junk and went with non-ADS springs & shocks (ADS have horrible reliability)
-DVD Nav unit failure
-Transmission and cooling system failure (same junk design as the 1st gen)
-Radiator system failure (linked to trans failure - what a stupid design!)
-Grill wrap failure
-Clearcoat peeling everywhere
-Uncountable number of wheel bearing failures causing sloppy steering shake

Bottom line is that Acura quality has declined to sub-zero in my book. Consider this the last HMC product I will ever buy after decades of brand loyalty :-(

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
We've updated our reliability stats for the MDX to include owner experiences through June 30, 2016. Reliability information elsewhere is based on a survey conducted in April 2015--well over a year ago.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2013 MDX: 16, low, small sample size
2012 MDX: 25, low
2011 MDX: 35, moderate
2010 MDX: 25, low
2009 MDX: 36, low, small sample size
2008 MDX: 73, moderate
2007 MDX: 54, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2012 MDX: 76, < 1
2008 MDX: 60, 11
2007 MDX: 62, 4

We'll have further updates in November and next February. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Acura MDX reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
2 Posts
I owned a 2001 and sold it in 2008 having only one repair, a new tranny at 75K miles. My 08 has been in the shop, now one month old three times, twice for the Navi, once for the AC. I have been driving a loaner almost 50% of my ownership time

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I owned a 2001 and sold it in 2008 having only one repair, a new tranny at 75K miles. My 08 has been in the shop, now one month old three times, twice for the Navi, once for the AC. I have been driving a loaner almost 50% of my ownership time
Just because you've only owned it 1 month doesn't make it "one month old". It's still a 10-year old car. I think that is an important distinction.

Also, it's not unreasonable for a 10-year old car to have some problems. It was most likely "paid off" and I'd be suspicious of why it was traded in. It's possible the previous owner's needs changed or they just wanted something "new" -- but the likelyhood that they were experiencing problems and didn't want to deal with it should not be ignored. It's no different than vehicles being traded in before the timing belt is due. It's a common event, because people don't want to deal with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's so sad too because a timing belt service is like what, maybe 2 car payments at the most?? And what do you get in return? A vehicle you can drive another 100k miles without worrying about a major engine failure as long as you keep up with the maintenance. My 2007 MDX has been a very reliable car with zero breakdowns for 205k miles so far. I just had the timing belt service done last week and it allowed me to fix a small leak on the oil pump which was the only thing about the vehicle that was annoying me. Now I'm back to reliable trouble free driving and no car payment. My Navi has never gone out but I did have to replace the A/C relay once. But other than a power lock switch on the drivers door, a bluetooth module (thanks ebay) and an alternator (at 190k miles) I have never had any unscheduled repairs.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
According to "True Delta" the 2007-2009 has Engine Problems but the 2010-2013 which are FAMOUS for having oil consumption issues have 0% Engine Problems….

SOUNDS LEGIT!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had my 2007 MDX since new and other than maintenance - tires, brakes, oil change, timing belt service water pump, fluids, and battery - I have had 149000 of trouble free driving. It has been the best car I have ever owned. I hope to keep it another 2 years before giving it up. It still drives great and has plenty of power. It does not have the latest safety gear but is still a great car. I baby it and it is garaged so it still looks great. Just my 2 cents on reliability of this generation.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought new a 07 MDX with now 120k and here are recollection of some of the issues (been so long I likely forgot some, but car has been very reliable which is why I'm keeping it and AMAZING on snow (especially lately with dedicated snow tires) and fun when pushing hard trough corners hard (that vectoring had my friend with WRX and other sport car impressed). Only better gas mileage would make me switch (after getting daughter a used Prius that gets 50+ mpg it's addicting!). I do ALL my services and never been to the stealer after initial purchase, unless it was warranty/recall. In addition to regular oil change I do tranny + diff case + transfer case every 30k. Recently did timing belt/water Pump/serpentine/tensioner.
  • soon after purchase I recall warranty on heated driver seat and maybe one of the mirror too.
  • I don't use CD or nav much these days - use smart phone - but I recall CD started making noise but worked ok.
  • +6y Hand Free Link malfunction - ended up killing 3 batteries in about a year+ (thanks to Costco only cost me one battery). Baked unit in oven (reflow solder) which fixed it for 6+ months each time, then died. Didn't want to spend $400 replacement online (more at dealer) as not clear unit got redesigned. Lawsuit against Acura known issue never panned out.
  • +9y on and off memory seat would require 5-10 push of buttons. Known issue with mirror actuators. I just forced moved them and also re-greased today and they seem to work again. Might need to replace ($48 each)
  • center console vinyl detached on one side
  • front grill decal started to bubble couple years ago
  • light fogging up last year (garaged). Ended up sanding + acetone to bring it back mostly clear. Need to add UV protection next
  • steering has been getting hard and harder last couple years. After being away for a 6 weeks, steering made noise when I got back so I replaced the in/out orings and flushed steering fluid (which was very dark and never done) and it's smooth and easier again!
  • had freon re-filled as AC was not that cold anymore/not working. back for normal again
  • had pulsating steering under breaking couple year ago, but that was due to warped front rotor.
  • as preventive I recently replaced the radiator (takes most of weekend to do) as there are known to rust at the join and possibly mix coolant and ATF, possibly ruining your transmission.
other than that just maintenance work - after doing Prius (with 160k) EGR valve/cooler/intake manifold cleaning which was bad I decide to do same on MDX but was much better shape. Tires last long time and brakes.

Only wish I got better gas mileage...say average 18.5mpg over life with mixed driving (20.5 on hwy going skiing up 6000ft and back). been perfect car otherwise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have around 1,300 miles up until this point and do appreciate it. Tried RX 330, XC90, Touraeg and this is it. Increasing speed somewhat tricky at start, possibly programming move up to transmission required. Ride is superb, very calm, rich inside. I bought base model and has incredible highlights for value point. Mileage around 19 mpg with generally suburb driving. Mine accompanied Bridgestone Dueler tires with B/B rating, I would anticipate best quality for this vehicle. You get Mich. An/A when you purchase jdm imports and other trim lines. Disgrace on you Acura. Adaptive guiding wheel could go another inch, I'm 6'1" as a sanity check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a CPO from 2008 that has performed flawlessly. The standard maintenance and fluids, not much more. I have 220,000 on the clock. Hopefully you all have the same luck I have had.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts