Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody I have a 2007 Acura MDX 3.7L Sport and Entertainment Package and I want to upgrade the audio system , now I am a rookie on this of course I am getting professional help but I still would like to get some suggestions of what's the best my budget is 800 to 1000$ to invest in the system please guys let me know what's the best fit for the speakers, subwoofer, radio, amplifier and what elses should i get.

Hope you guys can help me, thank you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
What is your goal for the system. Do you want loud, or more into sound quality (SQ). Also, do you want a sub box in the hatch, or do you want to utilize the location of the stock subwoofer with maybe some additional fabrication? What size sub are you thinking of, or want?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Getting better speakers and an amplifier is the best thing you can do. A lot of folks love Infinity because they can use the stock amplifier and get better sound.

I'd recommend upgrading the door speakers and tweeters first as the factory sub is ok, it's the mid-bass that's supremely lacking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys I'm not looking for something really loud but I want the best quality possible, and I don't know should i use a sub box in the hatch, or just utilize the location of the stock subwoofer with maybe some additional fabrication? What size should I use? Like I said I am a rookie so all I know is I've hear a couple of nice sounds on a couple of cars but I have no idea what they do to get those sound system

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are not the DIY type, I would suggest going to a shop and talk to them about what you want and expect from a system and go from there. I would also go to a few, maybe 2 to 3 shops and get estimates. Then pick the one you think is best.
On the other hand, I'm the DIY type and think I can do a better, cleaner install than most of the shops in my area. Not including the high end shops, but I don't have 8k to drop on an install with these high end shops.
Another option is what the previous member stated. You could try and replace the front speakers and tweeters with some infinity or something like this.
JBL GTO609C 6.5" GTO Component Car Speakers System
I personally never liked the sound I get just by replacing the stock speakers and using the stock amp. If you replace the speakers and add an amp to power them, the sound is an amazing improvement. I don't like the stock sub in my 2012 base model. I think it's the weak link in the stock system. I do like my bass, but I like quality bass that is geared more towards sound quality than SPL.
I will start a build log soon on my stereo system. Nothing special, just the pursuit of perfect sound according to my taste.

Disclaimer:
I don't argue to prove any point on forums. So if I have different opinions than anyone it's no big deal on my part. I'm okay with being wrong/right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys thank you I went for professional help now I only undecided about what subwoofer should I use? Do I need it shallow mount? Can I get a couple of suggestions?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hey guys thank you I went for professional help now I only undecided about what subwoofer should I use? Do I need it shallow mount? Can I get a couple of suggestions?
please keep us posted on the end result of your future newly installed/upgraded 2nd gen. MDX audio system upgrade...?

though my '09 MDX is my daily rider, i still wouldn't mind upgrading the audio (not to compete in audio contests, but just for personal satisfaction without having to break the bank :29: )

like, you i'm a novice when it comes to audio upgrades, fortunately this MB has been very useful for me throughout the many years, very good feedback and high tolerance here (for my occasionally, outrageous and/or borderline idiotic/very novice inquiries :p )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK I will keep you posted, I also found this sub online Kicker Car Audio Cws8 Subwoofer 8" 400W Single 4 Ohm Sub 40CWS84 does this really fits in an acura mdx?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I did a full set up in my Porsche with CDT Audio separates. It sounds amazing. I was thinking of doing CDT or Focal fronts on the MDX and upgrading the sub. The rears can remain as fill speakers. The Amplifier is a pain to change out because it is data linked to the head unit for volume control. You actually need to use a high/low converter because the head unit can not be directly connected to an amp. I'm basing it on this killer install.

Audible Physics / Zapco Install in an 08 Acura MDX - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

"As it turns out, this generation of Acura MDX utilizes a different stock system than the last gen TL...in that it’s a data link system where the headunit does not control the volume but instructs the stock amplifier via a data link signal chain. The main system amp powers the interior speakers directly while sending a line level signal to a secondary subwoofer amp, mounted within the stock sub enclosure on the passenger side rear panel.

What this means is that we cannot tap the signal before the stock amp and have to utilize the Speaker level signal post-amp for front stage and the line level signal for subwoofer. Happily though, there are no separate signal wires for midbass and tweeter so no summing was needed."

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
OK I will keep you posted, I also found this sub online Kicker Car Audio Cws8 Subwoofer 8" 400W Single 4 Ohm Sub 40CWS84 does this really fits in an acura mdx?
Someone on this board had posted a very detailed audio upgrade write-up a few years back (extensive audio upgrade on an '08 MDX) here with pics, but I couldn't find the actual MB thread.

Here's is (however) a link (from another site) of this same particular, incredibly thorough and detailed complete audio upgrade of a 2nd gen. MDX. I'd highly recommend that you check it out :29:

Audible Physics / Zapco Install in an 08 Acura MDX - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I did a full set up in my Porsche with CDT Audio separates. It sounds amazing. I was thinking of doing CDT or Focal fronts on the MDX and upgrading the sub. The rears can remain as fill speakers. The Amplifier is a pain to change out because it is data linked to the head unit for volume control. You actually need to use a high/low converter because the head unit can not be directly connected to an amp. I'm basing it on this killer install.

"As it turns out, this generation of Acura MDX utilizes a different stock system than the last gen TL...in that it’s a data link system where the headunit does not control the volume but instructs the stock amplifier via a data link signal chain. The main system amp powers the interior speakers directly while sending a line level signal to a secondary subwoofer amp, mounted within the stock sub enclosure on the passenger side rear panel.

What this means is that we cannot tap the signal before the stock amp and have to utilize the Speaker level signal post-amp for front stage and the line level signal for subwoofer. Happily though, there are no separate signal wires for midbass and tweeter so no summing was needed."
hey mr. MDXexpression, i realize you might be biased, but given the choice between a 2016 Audi SQ5 or a 2016 Porsche Macan
2016 Audi SQ5 vs 2016 Porsche Macan - The Car Connection

Which compact luxury SUV would you choose (I'm looking to trade in/upgrade my weekend rider- '15 Mercedes SUV) for one of these two vehicles? I figure maintenance costs between these two should be about the same (I hope)....?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Great choices. I'm from Michigan originally as well.

Both are beautiful choices and are on the same platform. One is Supercharged the other is Turbocharged. Engines are entirely different. The Porsche will feel more live. The exhaust will be raspy it will rev and feel like a race car is underneath. The Audi more luxurious and hushed. The Porsche will be more exclusive. By the numbers the performance is almost a draw. The Audi is so much more common though :) I would recommend driving both and buy the one you like the most. My choice would be the Porsche. Our other SUV is an X5 XDrive50i Sport with 450lb/ft of Torque. I love the MDX but it feels so slow now. The pricing is about $60k for each nicely equipped - The Macan is pretty hot right now so expect better resale value on a Macan as well.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Great choices. I'm from Michigan originally as well.

Both are beautiful choices and are on the same platform. One is Supercharged the other is Turbocharged. Engines are entirely different. The Porsche will feel more live. The exhaust will be raspy it will rev and feel like a race car is underneath. The Audi more luxurious and hushed. The Porsche will be more exclusive. By the numbers the performance is almost a draw. The Audi is so much more common though :) I would recommend driving both and buy the one you like the most. My choice would be the Porsche. Our other SUV is an X5 XDrive50i Sport with 450lb/ft of Torque. I love the MDX but it feels so slow now. The pricing is about $60k for each nicely equipped - The Macan is pretty hot right now so expect better resale value on a Macan as well.
Thanks for the insight! :29:

I'm leaning towards the Porsche Macan, but am worried that the servicing of this car might be much more over the years in comparison to the Audi SQ5...was going to buy brand new, but am now considering waiting a year and then making my move. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 MDX. I recently added a small box sub because it was lacking bounce. Now, I need to upgrade the mids & tweeters. Would I need to replace the amp also? I mostly want clear pitched highs with complimentary mids.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts