Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came off lease on an 08 MDX TECH ENT
I moved into an 2011 MDX TECH ENT

Here are my observations on what the changes are, in case anyone is looking to upgrade, release or buy an used vehicle.

Interior:

1. The black wood has been replaced by a brownish wood

2. The steering wheel is now a thicker material in the 2011. Paddle shifters have been added. In the 07-08, you slide the gear lever to the left and then move it forward and backward to manually shift

3. The gauges has changed. The nice blue surround in the 07-08 around the gauges (which perfectly matched the blue accent glow lights that come from the ceiling and also matches the blue highlights in the navigation screen) are now gone. The gauge cluster is not completely gray and white (no more blue). Also, when the car is off, you now see an very light gray embossed raised cluster, in the 07-08, it is almost black and recessed.

4. The rear view monitor is now motorized. I guess so that it doesnt block rearview, (but read on the headrest further below). When off, it raises automatically up. You cant manually tilt it anymore, you have to use the remote it comes with to tilt it. The remote has also grown in size. It also became complete square for some reason. It now has a easier to use dial control, but it is much bigger in size. Strangely, this remote came with batteries. I am not certain, but I never saw batteries off the 07-08 remote, I believe it charges when it was docked (I could be wrong on this)

5. The 2nd row headrest are HUGE now. I guess for whiplash protection. But they are large enough to block off a big corner of the rearview when looking through the mirror. I am not sure why they would motorized the rear view monitor when at the same time they make the 2nd row headrests so obtrusive.

6. The middle gauge cluster is now made of a nice black material. If you study it closely, it now has a stainless steel pattern to it, very light pattern.

7. The rubber around the knobs of the 2 upper knobs and the bottom one used to be super soft rubber. Which dust used to stick to. It is still soft, but harder (I guess to avoid dirt)

8. The large nav dial is now completely black

9. They added some sort of mesh surround, 1/4 inch around the radio secondary display and also on the rear heat control display. I am not sure why this is done, but it is added on top of the display (silk screen). Perhaps it is some sort of anti glare, it really serves no purpose since the outside surround is already black and you dont really see it, you can feel it though

10. The display (the secondary one) the slim one (not the nav display) is now SUPER BRIGHT. They must have cranked this baby up 2 notches. Because it is now so bright, I get double numbers just looking at it. In the 07-08, it wasnt this bright. I assume they did this because people were complaining of sunlight issues. I dont have this problem, because I always tint my cars.

11. The nav display is much improved. It is a LOT clearer now. 5-8 times better than the old one, resolution is improved a lot, it is almost exactly graphically like the one seen in the new TL, but the TL screen resolution is much greater. The NAV is also a lot faster now, it also understands me a lot easier. I believe they added RDS, weather, Nav traffic, street guidance names and a few other nifty things. You can also set the background now (like the TL)

12. I still havent figured this out, but in my 08, I could hit the voice command and say CALL HOME, CALL (name) and it will dial. In my 09TL, you cannot do this with one click. You have to go in the phone menu first and then say the voice name. It actually defeats the purpose. Also, something I cant figure out from my TL, whenever you do something in the phone or nav, it stays on that screen. It does not return to the AUDIO screen. It is MOST MOST annoying. I am not sure why they do that, they should return it to the last state like the 07-08

13. The DVD drive for NAV is no longer under the driver seat

14. They took the cluster from the new TL. All the interior lights are now LED on top (the domelights)

15. The side door panels seem to line up better with the dashboard. Its still not perfect, but better.

16. There is now a slide-able tray inside the armrest (it rests on top)

17. They added USB for IPOD, etc

18. The radio controls are relabeled, I guess to make it easier for some people. I've never had a problem with them. But they are in the same positions as before. It seems like they just added graphics and more text. They actually cluttered it because some people didnt understand what the old icons meant I guess.

19. The backup camera now has 3 views now, wide, center and DOWNWARD view. (this is selected with the knob and pushing it)

Exterior

1. Most notably, they redid the front and made the shield a lot smaller. Then added accent. Its still growing on me, but I am kinda fond of the 08.

2. They redid the exhaust on the rear and added chrome trims

3. The washer nozzles are no longer body color. They are now black. I am curious why they did this to save money. This is something that peers at me as I look out my windshield because my truck is white, I now see 2 black dots.

4. The plastic bumpers which was like a dull grayish plastic, is now black

5. The gas cap which was a poor fit in 07-08 seems to be aligned a lot better.

6. Regarding the rear taillights, I am not sure about this, but the new 10 and 11 sure look like the taillights are SMOKED. They are darker than usual. But I am not sure on this, I have pointed this out to other people and they all agree. Th 07-08 were very red (brake light red). I believe this is because they added the reflectors next to the chrome trim and they dont need as much reflection from inside the taillight itself. This is just my observation, I guess if anyone wants to dive deeper into to this is to check acura part #s for 08 and 11 tallights (center) to see if it is still the same part.
Driving:

1. I've heard they did something with the steering, I am not sure what. But the steering is looser at slow speeds. Which means I guess it is easier to park? As you speed up, it stiffens up. Or easier for you to make turns at slow speeds. Personally, I dislike it. I rather have it firm and less responsive all the time as it adds to the sportiness.

2. I am not sure if this car is drive by wire or not, I believe it is. But there has been at least 6 times when the transmission got confused. I would either hit the gas at a stop or while it is 2-5 mpg and wanted to gas it and it would hesitate. It wouldnt respond for 1-2 seconds and then it would go. I had this same problem with my 07 Civic Si and the drive by wire. Honda finally flashed it and it solved the problem. I DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM in the 07-08 - OH BY THE WAY, if you are wondering why it does this, it is to get MORE MPG from the engine. They rather tune it this way so the average MPG is higher.

3. the 11 is definitely more responsive on the highway, 30-70 full throttle, it grunts and go. IT IS DEFINITELY better. The HP may be the same, but this thing is like night and day. Much much better.

4. The car just seems stiffer to me also, but this may because my lease return had aging shocks. Who knows.

Well, thats it.
oh one more thing, Taupe is out on WHITE EXTERIOR. Gray is now in.
Anyone wanna purchase a set of used beige alll-weather MDX floormats? PM please (doesnt match)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
That's the most detailed comparison I've seen between the two, thanks for going into so much detail.

One more addition is that the center armrests are now leather with stitching compared to the vinyl-like covers from 07-09.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Awesome write up.

I have a '08 and like it quite a few. I like the stiff feel :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the most detailed comparison I've seen between the two, thanks for going into so much detail.

One more addition is that the center armrests are now leather with stitching compared to the vinyl-like covers from 07-09.
I believe the stitching (the white stitching?) is not in all models.

It is not in my MDX TECH ENT, I've only seen it in the ADVANCE package which offers the Milano Perforated seats.

Also in my TL, I had to step up to the AWD-SH with the perforated seats to get the stitching.

Oh, if anyone is interested. I am pretty sure that center armrest tray that fits in the middle console SHOULD fit in the 07-08 models. I will take pictures of it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Ah, I've only been inside the Advance model for the 2010+'s, which would explain my initial confusion :D.

The center armrest tray does in fact fit the 2007-09's and is a cheap upgrade ($12-15 or so).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2010 base model definitely has the stitched leather armrests.
It may be stitched, but if you step up to the perforated leather, the stitching is in a different color.

White stitching on black leather for example.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Oh, if anyone is interested. I am pretty sure that center armrest tray that fits in the middle console SHOULD fit in the 07-08 models. I will take pictures of it.
It does indeed - I have one in my MDX :29:

·
Registered
123 Posts
It may be stitched, but if you step up to the perforated leather, the stitching is in a different color.

White stitching on black leather for example.
Ah, I see what you're saying. Contrasting stitching sounds pretty cool...I didn't notice it the last time I was in a 2010 Advanced (getting a free ride to dinner while staying at a W Hotel :D), but I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If anyone is interested, this is the new 2011 nav.

It is a lot faster now. Clearer, etc.

Also, notice the little changes like the blue sky in the lane divider (right) screen etc

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Comparison of Old dash (with blue)

and new

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol

someho this forum when it resizes my photos rotates them (ANY MODERATORS OR FORUM OWNERS READING THIS?)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, it looks like 1/4 more

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe this is covered in another thread. What about the 6 sp trans vs the 5spd? I really like the 2008 steel blue color and almost a trade off for me to get the color I like. Is the difference worth it? Hmmm, is the steel blue only on the 2007? I also see that there is supposed to be a complete make over for 2012. No hurry so reckon I'll wait. Subaru might be bringing their diesel to the US by then. Who knows.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well guys this is my very FIRST post on these forums!!! I just purchased a 2008 Tech in Nimbus Grey!! Love it so far. My family had two already (2 different cousins) and after looking at various models and being disappointed with their various setups I decided to follow in the family footsteps and buy this one less than 10hrs ago!

Thanks so much for the write-up. My uncle has a 2010 and I really wanted to see what i was missing on my 2008. Overall I am very happy with the purchase. A few toys I would like to have had would be Adaptive Cruise Control, the 3way panning rearview camera (mine just points back with no arrows), heated rear seats, and maybe the Adjustable Suspension. But I have to say it comes with pretty much everything I would need for the foreseeable future. I love my blue dash compared to his bland grey dash and all that I mentioned above I have never had so I really cant miss. The side lane warning system would be nice too but I have added a $2 blindspot mirror to both side-mirrors to solve that problem as I did in all my other cars.

Again I appreciate the time the OP took to put this post together and look forward to interacting with all of you and learning more about my new SUV and doing some fun mods, take care every1

-Paul :~)
(SH-NMO => Super-Happy New MDX Owner!!!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice write up .
I just had my 2008 in for service and was loaned a 2011 for a week...
I have a few more obeservations and comments for everyone..
-- The 2011 has a Hard Drive (2008 does not)which really drives the sound system nicely
-- The Buttons for the Rear Defog and fans is moved to the far right of the secondary display.
-- The seats are not as good IMO.. When I returned the car my 2008 the seats appeared to be softer leather with bigger lateral support cusions - just better!.
-- The steering obsevation I had as well.. To me it seemed a bit loose and sloppy in all driving conditions.... Very noticible when I went back to the 2008.
-- LOL - The rear headrests are HUGE!! They really block the rear view.. YUK..
-- The idle and acceleration exhaust sound of the 2008 is a bit more sporty.. Not really louder but deeper a bit in pitch (Better!)
-- Yes NAV in 2011 is much better however with same lady (computer?) yelping instructions!!
-- Seems not as tight in handling overall - Yikes - Honda may be trying to get more like the Lexus ...Ugh..

One other comment with this car in general.. This is my first Acura.. While nice power is available which they advertise 300 HP or there abouts for this engine, what is not good is you have to "pounce" on it to get the enhanced power from the V-Tech valve lift (activates over 5000 rpm..). A neat feature would be a button on the shift knob that the driver uses to activate when they want the increased valve lift at lower RPMs for increased torque and HP... I have another vehicle with 210 HP and 225 lbs of torque that hits these numbers at 3000 rpm - this vehicle is much more responsive and powerful in normal driving (NO NEED TO POUNCE) compard to teh MDX...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great post! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts