Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm still in the market for a MDX and am debating between two:

1) a 2003 MDX with rear DVD and 210K miles, it's had 4 owners and no accidents with some service records available and a very nice black interior. Also has documentation of factory timing belts being changed twice.
2) a 2006 MDX with 133K miles, one owner and no service records, an apparent slight fender bender may years ago according to Car Fax (says, minor damage, airbags did not deploy, drove from scene), drivers seat leather is basically destroyed. Timing belt apparently never changed. Vehicle has tan interior.

Both are priced nearly the same at around $4200. The 2006 drove much better than the 2003 but the small accident at the front left fender of the 2006 has me concerned, the low low milage is very nice.

Reading the carfax, the 2006 basically had oil changes and a few alignments and air bag recalls performed but no dealership visits and no reference to a timing belt change and the owner doesn't believe one has been performed.

In reading the forums, it sounds like Honda's recommendation is 105,000 mile service - obviously the 2006 is well past that. How long do people drive with timing belts not being changed?

The 2006 owner will barely budge on price, even when I mentioned a timing belt job is around $1000.

I'd like to perform a blown head gasket test (where you open the radiator and see if a certain fluid goes from blue to yellow)...but not sure how any potential sellers would react to a buyer messing around with their coolant system.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Go 06, better transmission. Just look in overflow tank for chocolate milk color and on underside of oil fill cap to check for blown head gasket, no chemical necessary. Timing belt isn't crazy money to have an indy change it, that cost associated with belt change is a non issue I think.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts