Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any advice any one may have..TIA

About 2 weeks ago my MDX started to make a whiney power steering noise when I started the car that would continue until the vehicle had been running for a few minutes (warmed up i'll assume). A few days after the whine started a low squeeky belt noise started that continued throughout driving. 3 days ago my battery light came on , which I have never seen in the 7 years I have driven this car. As of this morning the vehicle will not start. When attempting to start the vehicle I hear a loud fast pulsed ticking noise and all lights on my dash light up, I have full powered headlights , yet the needles don't move on the dash nor does the radio function. I tried to jump the car but the vehicle turned off after about 4 minutes of running. I changed the battery in the car about 2 months ago as well as had new power lines installed from the battery positive / negative to the starter. 4 months ago I had new power steering lines installed and a serpentine belt. I don't know anything about cars , in general, but from what I can find in the acura forums people with similar symptoms speak of the alternator being bad and a few other possibilities. Has anyone seen the same miriad of symptoms in their MDX? My MDX has 150,000 miles on it but it has turned in to a money pitt in the last year or so and going to the dealer is exceedingly expensive

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The symptoms you describe are typical when the electrical system is not charging. I would check to make sure the serpentine belt is actually still on the pulleys... Since you describe a belt noise that suddenly stopped, I think that is a good place to start. If that's okay, then I'd have your battery and alternator tested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had similar problems, definitely get the battery and alternator checked at Auto Zone for free. The belt could be the problem if its not tight enough or something, otherwise, its the alternator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts