Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While installing my additional transmission cooler, I started looking over the tranny. I figured I’d go ahead and drop the pan, change the fluid and filter like most every car I’ve ever owned. Then I discovered this tranny doesn’t have the traditional pan. After searching this site I think I’ve learned there is no serviceable filter on the 06. So I just want to confirm this before I dismiss the desire to change its filter. I’ll just do a fluid change and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
There is a filter. Part number 25450-P4V-013

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Diagram shows the location... Engine side of the transmission. It's under the airbox. There is a filter cover (part# 4 in diagram) that can be unbolted to remove the filter. There are videos on YouTube that may help you. The same design has been used on the 2006-2015 Pilot, and 2007-2013 Odyssey... So that should expand the potential number of videos you can watch.

I would replace the O-ring as well as the filter.

O-Ring: 91305-PN4-003
Filter: 25450-P4V-013

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the life of me I can’t put my eyes on this filter. There appear to be a few variations of this engine and tranny filter location judging from the various videos I’ve been able to find. Different years and different vehicles show it in different places. So far I just don’t see it. My Acura service center says it doesn’t need to be replaced. That it is intended to last for the life of the vehicle. The life of the vehicle is what I’m trying to extend!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah, it seems that every now and again this question comes up and a debate breaks out as to whether or not the filter is actually serviceable or whether it's internal and can only be replaced by dropping the transmission. There's a lot of confusion because Honda/Acura seem to have had a lot of subtly different designs in the marketplace around the same time. I gave up looking on my '06 a while ago, but if somebody can find it, please post pics of where it is and how you got to it, you'll be a hero.

(FWIW, I think the image linked above shows an internal filter. See this video
that shows the inner bits of an MDX transmission, including parts that look just like #3 and 4--the filter and housing--though the year of that MDX is not specified, so I can't be 100% sure; the OP of that video does indicate in the comments, however, that the '03-'06 have internal filters, so I believe the video shows a transmission from one of those years.)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I already looked on my 05 some time ago and couldn't find anything from the outside, that said it is a large transmission so perhaps it's still out there, somewhere... (queue theme song from x-files).

Could there have been a design change for the 06?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Not sure about other models but the factory filter is internal on the 06 (I have one).

If you want a filter, try a Magnefine in-line filter or equivalent. I recently converted to the all metal housing version - about $25 plus shipping.

There are posts on this site on where the return line to the trans is located.

Good luck, have fun!

·
Registered
88 Posts
If it is internal on the 06, does that mean there's no way to change it with out dropping the transmission?
Can someone post some of those links to add a Magnefine in-line filter? I'm having issues finding anything pertinent with the search feature of this site.

·
Registered
761 Posts
For in-line filter install, here’s a link for an 06 factory trans cooler. See page 4 for how the lines run. IMO, you want the filter on the return after the rad.

https://acura.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2006_MDX_ATFand PowerSteeringCoolers_BII30949.pdf

If you have a different year, the same site has instructions for other years.

To install it, I R&R’d the black plastic air screen under the bumper that runs between the wheel wells. It’s one pc but just driver’s half is necessary. You can access the lines and there’s space for the filter. Where the trans line touched the frame or any metal, I split a 2-3 inch pc of hose and covered the line to have extra abrasion resistance. Zip tied the lines too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
While installing my additional transmission cooler, I started looking over the tranny. I figured I’d go ahead and drop the pan, change the fluid and filter like most every car I’ve ever owned. Then I discovered this tranny doesn’t have the traditional pan. After searching this site I think I’ve learned there is no serviceable filter on the 06. So I just want to confirm this before I dismiss the desire to change its filter. I’ll just do a fluid change and be done with it.
03 MDX is the same tranny as 06-08 pilot. there are two internal tranny filter inside the tranny. watch this:

my problem: car goes to neutral when coming to stop and late shifting from 1 to 2 , but it will starts moving when manually put in 1st and then manually to d3-d5. Once in d5 runs fine until making a turn or stopping.
Problem could be the sprag gear in the tranny getting stock and not turning.
helpful solution : drain the tranny fluid and add some seafoam trans tune to loosen sticky valve, it will help a lot.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
That sprag gear problem seems to be a fatal flaw - though it's possible to work around it with manual shifting (for at least a while). I've also had good luck using LubeGard Platinum in Honda trannies with "control problems", though shift solenoids and pressure switches are also known for failing, and can cause lots of different issues like the ones described above). Tranny fluid changes are always the best place to start on any tranny that hasn't had one in a while. These transmissions are very susceptible to poor fluid conditions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.