Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to replace my stock radio in a 2006 Acura MDX with Bose. Will my navigation still work properly? I want bluetooth audio and iPod connection with the new radio, but don't wanna lose the navigation. Please lend any advice.

·
Registered
2006 MDX Touring Navi+RES
726 Posts
Have you considered one of the several options to add Bluetooth and iPod to either the CD or rear auxiliary input on your current factory radio?

Do you want Bluetooth to only play music, only for hands free phone, or both?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I want to replace my stock radio in a 2006 Acura MDX with Bose. Will my navigation still work properly? I want bluetooth audio and iPod connection with the new radio, but don't wanna lose the navigation. Please lend any advice.
If you replace the stock radio, there is a 14 pin plug you need to mess with behind the radio. Pin # 9 and 10, should be a blue wire and a pink wire, place a 70ohm resistor between the two wires. What I did was strip both wires and soldered the resistor on. If you don't do this, then none of the buttons will function for you to hit OK for the navigation prompt. I had to do this when I replaced my stereo because I wanted USB + Spotify/Pandora.

·
Registered
726 Posts
With the nav option on mine, the screen takes up the whole dash center stack. There is no place to put a radio without sawing on the dash and custom work to put it in place of the ash tray and lighter. How are y'all installing an aftermarket radio leaving the nav?

You would put one resistor wired in series between those two wires. It restricts the flow of electricity between the two wires.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Thanks. I never use the buttons on the stack, just the wheel, and forgot what it looks like. On the train to work, so I couldn't pop out to the garage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
colinnwn, you said -

"You would put one resistor wired in series between those two wires. It restricts the flow of electricity between the two wires."

Sorry to beat this but just to be clear. You cut wires on terminals 9 (BLU) and 10 (PNK) from the audio plug and connect them together via a 70 ohm resistor and then they just sit in space, not connected back into 9 and 10 into the radio?. That's a Can Bus trunk so you are just giving the signals a communication path and bypassing the Audio unit?

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
726 Posts
I haven't done it myself but yes that's what I understand. I'm still looking for better wiring diagrams.

9 and 10 wouldn't connect to a new stereo without CANBUS, so if you connected resistors inline with each wire, and back into position 9 and 10 in the socket, the resistors wouldn't do anything.

·
Read Only
24 Posts
Please excuse my lack of wiring/electrical knowledge....BUT

"I DON'T GET IT"

9 and 10 would be connected to each other via a 70 ohm resistor and the car side plug would otherwise be used to connect to the new HEAD UNIT (WITH AN AFTERMARKET WIRING HARNESS) ??

What is a CANBUS ?
and since i'm showing my ignorance...what is the RES?

I would really like to upgrade my stereo but reluctant to spend the $700 or so on the project for a new head unit and wiring harness's...

My MDX is a 2003
In the 15 pin connector, how do I determine which wires are 9+10 ?

THANKS TO ALL THAT HAVE HELPED BY SHARING THEIR KNOWLEDGE !!

·
Registered
726 Posts
CANBUS is Controller Area Network communications bus. It's a mini form of an internet between car electronics.

Yes you have it correct. The pins are counted from a specific orientation of the plug. Generally put the locking tab up, and start counting from the top left to right just like reading a book, usually on the car side plug. The service manual will tell you for sure.

But if one or other counting ways leads you to the correct color wires, since you know them, then you can be pretty sure.

I can try to look in service manual later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
TimH, colinnwn covered most of it. Attached here (if it works) is the wiring diagram showing the audio plug in question. CANBUS is a serial communication language. That communication needs to flow to multiple devices. Like water in a hose, if you just cut the hose in half the water won't get to the sink and toilet and dishwasher. What you are doing with cutting the wires and adding a resistor is allowing the communication to flow but bypassing the radio. The 70 ohm resistor mimics the internal resistance of the radio so the serial comm network has no idea that the radio is gone and just continues to talk between devices. I would rely on wire colors vs pin counting to find which 2 to jump with the resistor.

RES = Rear Entertainment System

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just a 2001 mdx that has bose with navigation and I want to change out the head unit so I have bluetooth and aux fm transmitter sux I just am not sure if I can change it out I have herd to may different things

·
Registered
476 Posts
My son replaced the radio in our old 2006 with the following Apple Car-Play/Android head-unit + assorted add-on components to allow steering wheel controls, XM, etc. Seems to be working out well. He had Best Buy advise and perform the install, I'm sure someone more savvy could take this on themselves, but that task certainly wasn't for him.

Lost the capability of playing CDs, but not much of an issue today as it was say 14 years ago...

Attachments

Reactions: fstrife and 200278

·
Registered
476 Posts
Can I add stock navi if I don't have one?
Not without a lot of extra work and the addition of multiple internal components to get everything to work (even if you find a screen unit at a junk yard).

I would skip trying to add the stock navi which ultimately dates back to 2000 when this car was introduced. It’s a nearly 20 year-old system.

Instead replace your radio with one that can connect with today’s phones for navigation, music streaming, and Apple/Android capabilities.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you replace the stock radio, there is a 14 pin plug you need to mess with behind the radio. Pin # 9 and 10, should be a blue wire and a pink wire, place a 70ohm resistor between the two wires. What I did was strip both wires and soldered the resistor on. If you don't do this, then none of the buttons will function for you to hit OK for the navigation prompt. I had to do this when I replaced my stereo because I wanted USB + Spotify/Pandora.
Do you have more details on this 70 ohm resistor? Where do I get one? Is there a specific wattage resistor needed? Can you post a pic of what you installed?

All I keep reading is "70 ohm resistor" but a google search doesn't exactly help identify what the color code for one is lol

I have a bag full but there's are all multiple thousand ohm resistors... I think?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts