Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I had just purchased a 2006 Acura MDX. I'm not familiar with this type of vehicle and was wondering if someone can tell me if it is normal for the suspension to feel boaty especially over bumps, or is this normal for this type of vehicle. I know some cars and trucks come like that while others may need a shock/strut replacement. It has 166k miles and just not familiar with the stick feel of this vehicle. Also not sure if a replacement was ever done.

So If this condition is not normal, can anyone recommend shocks/struts that will make it handle a lot better? I like cars that handle tight.

Thank you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
How do you define boaty? After hitting a bump does the car keep bouncing up and down? That is a classic sign of needing new struts or shocks. When you turn the car, does it seem to take an extra second for the car to follow where you steered? That can partially be caused by struts/shocks, and also by various other suspension and steering rubber bushings. KYB is a good aftermarket brand that is also an OEM supplier to many manufacturers. I'd go with them, or Acura branded replacements, unless you need greater load carrying capacity in the rear.

If boaty means the car feels heavy and doesn't handle as tightly or accelerate as peppy as a sports sedan, and you aren't used to driving SUVs, then that is probably normal. I've driven SUVs since a 1979 Scout. Acura's feel much tighter than almost any SUV or CUV I've driven besides Mazda. But they still don't handle as tightly as most Japanese or German sports sedans.

You could spend a lot of money putting higher spring rate springs on it, and changing the rubber suspension bushings to silicone to make it handle tighter. But I don't think it would be worth it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts