Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just Installed a new media receiver in my 2006 MDX and wanted to share, so maybe some posters can find useful info in what I learned. So Ive had my 2006 MDX for a few weeks and am loving the car so far. I definitely missed having navigation, and ability to stream music from my phone, so I went on Crutchfield and ordered a Sony XAV-AX100 media receiver, with installation accessories needed. Replaced the 6 disc changer with the unit and installation was fairly easy, mostly thanks to Crutchfield and their custom options.

Installation accessories:
Steering Wheel Control Hook up - this allowed me to connect my new Sony receiver to the steering wheel controls - its only 4 buttons but all work as they should
SLC04 pre-out line converter - this allowed me to hook up this 4 channel unit to a 9 speaker system that included the subwoofer, and adjust gain levels for each channel
Dashboard Kit - has the trim that goes around the unit itself, and almost ideally blends in with the trip monitor screen trim.
Crutchfields custom harness - they basically wire everything for you, and cap it off with an adapter that fit my 2006 MDX.

Installation took about 90 minutes and while I'm no pro at car audio and really lack proper tools, I was able to complete it with a 15 minute phone call to their tech support. Most everything was plug and play, with exception of two little wires I had to splice in for steering wheel controls and ground. Also the radio itself doesn't have to be hooked up to a parking break, but rather just grounded - which made it easy. Sony unit costs roughly $400 with accessories and dash kit another $80 or so. One remaining project is to add a rear backup camera, this unit has connection for that as well.

Sony XAV-AX100 so far seems to be an awesome receiver. It is Android Auto and CarPlay compatible, which means I get always up to date, voice activated navigation Google Maps or Waze, voice activated music streaming Spotify, Pandora, Google Play Music and few other apps. All you do is hookup your phone to the USB and it feeds all the data to the receiver. Ive never used Android Auto before, but it seems incredibly awesome and future proof. Also, the unit comes with a mic, so now I can give voice commands, make phone calls and even sends text by talking to my sony. It is also a very simple looking unit, so no frills here but also doesn't look cheesy or cheap, but rather fits in well with the interior. Quality of music it puts out is much better than the original cd player that was in there, and having a 10 band equalizer, sub boost, dynamic stage adjustment and other features allows you to tune ideally for the music you like to listen too. So far, I'm extremely happy with the upgrade. Let me know if you guys have any questions!

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I didn't have the navigation, so that's one of the main reasons I decided to upgrade. Nor do I really have any CDs anymore, so the CD changer was kind of pointless. What I really like about navigation with this sony unit is that its fully voice activated and always up to date, considering its really your phone that is sending data. I find google maps and waze to be far superior to most of the older generation navigation systems. Also, its rather cool to add addresses to people in your contacts list, and simply say "Ok Google.....lets go to Joe's place" and have it launch navigation automatically.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey Chris. Fantastic write up and thanks for sharing. I'm tempted to look into this. Does the hands free phone stuff still work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The factory setup no longer works, but this Sony receiver comes with a mic, that is actually better quality than the factory mic. This allows you to make hands free calls, send text messages using your voice and a long list of other things. Because it is based on your phone in android auto or iPhone carplay, all your contacts and phone numbers are automatically available as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice work. I wish someone could do a complete write up on installing a new deck in the model with the Bose+navi. I've installed many radios, but the last install I did was replacing the Bose deck and amp and I re-wired the whole car for new speakers and an amp. I've never used the Scosche SLC4 before. So the speaker level inputs comes from the new radio but where do you hook up the outputs because I see RCA connectors?

I'm not a huge fan of Sony but that deck looks really nice. I also like the fact that the volume control is a knob instead of buttons.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jchan,

IIRC the RCAs weren't even used in my setup. The SLC4 is wired into the main harness, I got Crutchfield to do that part for the $20 custom harness fee. They also set the switches and gain levels on every channel, for optimized audio, which I thought was pretty impressive. Ive read some posts on here, about people doing custom audio upgrades and losing subwoofer functionality or ending up with uneven sound sent to different speakers. SLC4 resolves that issue completely. This receiver also has an equalizer and dynamic stage enhancement, which really allows you to put out pretty decent sound ( for car audio anyway). The volume knob was one of the reasons I chose this unit, but is sits little recessed and is not as easy to use as I thought it would be, considering its right at the edge of the dash piece. I find myself using the volume controls on the steering wheel a lot more. If I get an urge, maybe I will shave 1-1.5 mm off of the dash kit, so when the receiver is matched with it, the knob sticks out more as it should, but it seems like a PIA project for little gain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
jchan,

IIRC the RCAs weren't even used in my setup. The SLC4 is wired into the main harness, I got Crutchfield to do that part for the $20 custom harness fee. They also set the switches and gain levels on every channel, for optimized audio, which I thought was pretty impressive. Ive read some posts on here, about people doing custom audio upgrades and losing subwoofer functionality or ending up with uneven sound sent to different speakers. SLC4 resolves that issue completely. This receiver also has an equalizer and dynamic stage enhancement, which really allows you to put out pretty decent sound ( for car audio anyway). The volume knob was one of the reasons I chose this unit, but is sits little recessed and is not as easy to use as I thought it would be, considering its right at the edge of the dash piece. I find myself using the volume controls on the steering wheel a lot more. If I get an urge, maybe I will shave 1-1.5 mm off of the dash kit, so when the receiver is matched with it, the knob sticks out more as it should, but it seems like a PIA project for little gain.

Yeah, a volume knob was because all my previous cars didn't have steering wheel controls...so, maybe I don't need the knob after all since the MDX has it. All I really want is BT and USB functionality anyways. You didn't happen to take any photos of the gear before install did you? I might have to just buy the SLC4 and see how it looks.

EDIT:
Found some photos of it before install on the G20 forum. It looks like the SLC4 has speaker level inputs AND outputs, not just RCA outs. I didn't realize that. I thought FL/FR went on one side and RL/RR went on the other side of that box. Also, there is a switch on the side of it for setting it to factory amp. Now it makes a lot more sense. lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I didn't take any pics of the wiring. As I mentioned, the RCAs were not used in my hookup, and I just took the easy route and had Crutchfield do most of the wiring. There are several switches/jumpers, that you would need to set as well as gain level settings for each channel. The volume knob issue can be taken care of, with taking about 1mm of plastic off with a dremel tool or another tool. The unit then would be as recessed and would make the knob stick out. Either way, I'm just having a blast playing around with customizing the unit with wallpapers, optimizing EQ settings etc and learning all the awesomeness of android auto. Next up, is installing a backup camera and hooking it up to the unit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update with some pics. Added a cheapie $20 rear backup camera. The sony head unit had a reverse wire and camera input which made it a no brainer. It also allows the camera to turn on automatically, every time the car is in reverse. I'm amazed how well it works for such an inexpensive item. Hav enever had one of these before, but I can see how useful it can be.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good choice! I love the XAV-AX100. I just wish Sony would allow the Nag screen to auto accept after 5 seconds like the Pioneer does. But the interface of the Sony is so much more modern than any of the other brands. And amen to the future proofing. The Navigation on my '04 is no longer updated by Acura, where I won't have that problem with Android Auto.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good choice! I love the XAV-AX100. I just wish Sony would allow the Nag screen to auto accept after 5 seconds like the Pioneer does. But the interface of the Sony is so much more modern than any of the other brands. And amen to the future proofing. The Navigation on my '04 is no longer updated by Acura, where I won't have that problem with Android Auto.
Yeah, I'm digging it for sure. I do see a lot of people complaining about the startup warning message. I personally don't think its that big of a deal for myself, but I can see how someone would find it annoying. Perhaps they add a setting for that in one of the future updates? I know that the rear backup camera screen used to have the color depth lines that couldn't be disabled and often clashed with guide lines of the camera. But I think they added a setting where you can adjust the lines, including removing them completely, which is what I was able to do. Do you have this unit?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have it for my 1994 BMW 325i. I love the fact that it is single DIN with a Double DIN face. That is the only double din radio that will fit in my BMW. I have the Pioneer in my MDX because I installed it before the XAV came out and I have the Acura navigation, so I really didn't want to have to hit okay to two separate nag screens. But I can't stand the horrendous Pioneer interface when I am not using Android Auto.

I wish someone would create a background like this with the Acura logo. I found it for BMW and just don't have the graphics skills to recreate it for Acura: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dBWiIE2131woqwTX2 (My BMW install)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That looks great man. Its a better fit in your beamer, because of the way it fits the dash. Yours is flush and allows the volume knob to be fully exposed, for easy use. Mine is recessed a bit and the volume knob is against the edge of the trim piece, which makes it less than perfect to turn. no big deal though, since if I want to mute it right away I just use the source off option after pressing it once. I've messed around with few different backgrounds, there are some cool Acura ones - its just hard to find one that fits well. I use a funky one that matches the other screen for the most part. I imagine the sound on your mic is great, with that placement. I have mine on the ashtray, and even though it seems to work ok, I think ill feed it through to the top of the right kick panel, by the steering wheel. I think it will blend in nicely that way. So far I'm pretty happy with the whole setup and would recommend it to anyone

·
Registered
36 Posts
Finally took the plunge and changed out the radio. Went with the Pioneer AVH390 instead. Figured I don't need nav or anything, only wanted BT and USB. Install was fairly easy and straight forward with the SLC4. Didn't get the steering wheel controls yet as the part just got delivered yesterday. I lost functionality of the nav screen (buttons don't respond) but found a post that said to jump 2 wires on the blue connector with a 70ohm resistor so I will try that when I install the steering wheel control maybe this weekend...or maybe not. I injured my back on Sunday so we'll see...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Strange. I heard of the nav buttons not responding, but I didn't have that problem on my '04, and I have both Bose and Nav. I had to tell crutchfield that I didn't have Nav and Bose just to order from them. I wonder if the difference is due to 04 vs 06?

Steering wheel controls, that's another story. With my OEM radio, I had to do the grounding strap fix which solved the flaky controls. But when I put the new radio in they went totally bezerk. And they get even worse when the weather turns cold. One day I'll get off my lazy duff and figure out the problem, most likely still a grounding issue.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts