Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shocked to see my mdx ac not cooling;fan blowing. I want to personally find out what the cause is before I take it for repair. Every idea would be appreciated.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You can check if the clutch on the compressor pulls in when you engage the AC button. If it doesn’t it could mean low Freon or as Mag says, clutch relay. Should state, Mag Clutch, or something like that. Find it and then you can swap relays (with engine off, key out) from the same fuse box and see if it starts working. Horn or head light relay should be the same - check the part number listed on the top.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2005 touring is doing the same after trying to charge system and replace clutch relay. Clutch not engaging. If you find a solution, would greatly appreciate any advice. I remember the ac repairs at the Acura dealer I worked for were rather pricy.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
If relay is good and there is power to the Clutch Stator then check for clutch air gap and freon charge. If both of them are ok then you need a new Clutch Stator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was shocked to see my mdx ac not cooling;fan blowing. I want to personally find out what the cause is before I take it for repair. Every idea would be appreciated.
Same thing happened to my 2003. check for leaks, filled with Freon. Put on system at garage today and its full, pressure is good no leaks. Probe says its the power head inside the car. I replaced with one from the junkyard. Ive check relays everything it comes on about 3 seconds and goes off. The clutch and compressor work fine with the probe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it acting like heat is on? Does the rear ac get cold? There is an air mixer that sits under the dash to the left of the passenger side. Sometimes it gets stuck and doesn't mix the cold air.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I really can't tell if the problem is that the fan won't stay on, or that the A/C compressor engages for a few seconds and then disengages. Or if the air just stops flowing properly even though the fan(s) continue(s) to run.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I never thought about the fan stopping. When the light and compressor kicks off in about 3 seconds I figured it was that.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Thanks for the clarification (no way we could have discerned that from previous comments). This is where it would be helpful to have a HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) as you could monitor the status of the likely suspects, like the pressure switch in the A/C. Barring that, you could check for DTC's (lots of threads on how to do that) - chances are good that doing that will give you more info...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts