Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple of months ago, I noticed my 2006 MDX (104,000 miles) becoming less and less efficient. When I purchased the vehicle, it was getting around 22 highway mpg. Now, it pulls a measly 17.6 mpg on the highway.

I tried all the easy fixes, like tire pressure, fresh synthetic oil, new air filter, alignment and balance of tires, and even tried some fuel additives. Nothing perked up my fuel economy.

So, I brought it into the dealership for a diagnostic. They did a computer scan and pressurized fuel system test and checked a few other things, but they also came up with nada. They told me to document the next few fuel ups so they could send it to some higher ups.

Anyone have some wisdom to pass onto me as I seek a solution? Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
961 Posts
1. Scan the computer for fuel trim codes to see if something is causing additional fuel to be added. If so, follow usual diagnostics.

2. Check the ignition timing to see if a worn timing belt has retarded the timing.

3. Check for excessive drag at all 4 wheels. Possibly a caliper or pads sticking. Easy test: put your hand about an inch away from each wheel center after driving for awhile. If one is hotter than the others it is a suspect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, sorry I took so long to respond.

1. When I took it into the dealership, they did a pressure test on the fuel system and said there were no leaks whatsoever.

2. I don't actually have a scanner, but the dealership says they poured over the codes and didn't see anything. Maybe when they take it to someone higher up, they can pick something up.

3. The timing belt was just replaced by the dealership about 5,000 miles ago. Could they have done the job incorrectly? How can I detect retarded timing?

4. I haven't checked the brakes yet, but in my other vehicles if there was some kind of drag by a caliper, I could smell it on long trips. I haven't smelled anything like that, but I will still do the warmth test the next time it is on the road. Usually only drive it about once a week.

·
Registered
961 Posts
This video gives you an overview of using a timing light:

https://youtu.be/sGzxCCaxDjI

Because your engine does not use an external distributor, the timing cannot be adjusted. You can, however, verify it. If the timing belt was installed one tooth off, it would move your timing away from spec.

You can probably rent or borrow a timing light from an auto parts store.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.