Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so sorry for the ignorance in my first post. Search has turned up nothing and I've searched all over the web so hopefully someone can help me out. Is there a downloadable service manual out there somewhere? Or can someone just tell me the torque specs and sequence for the cylinder heads? Thanks

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Good question. My MDX is a 2004, as is my service manual. I'd guess that the specs couldn't have changed too much in two years, but I guess it bears a quick confirmation if you can find someone with a 2006 service manual, just to be 100% certain.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
TexasHonda, I went over the .pdf you posted and am not seeing a difference in the torquing specs or process for the two (other than the use of 6- or 12-point bolts). What changed (I want to make sure I don't give anyone the wrong info in the future)?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My read is that steps 11-15 apply only to 12-pt bolts and is quite different from 6-pt bolts. Read the procedure carefully.

good luck

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I have that 12-point process in my manual too, but only posted the torquing sequence in response to the original request (for just that). I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything, and that the torque spec and sequence really were the same for 6 and 12-point bolts (other than the two vs. three-step process, which I'm trying to get my head around). I'm guessing Honda changed the metallurgy of the 12-point bolts to allow more "stretch" to keep the clearances tighter over a wider range of operating conditions and temperatures. I hope I never have to find out which bolts my MDX has... ;-)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The sequence is the same but torque spec is different for initial setting of 12 pt bolts (Step 14, followed by rotation specs). Why they specify to check for necking is unknown. Perhaps a lower yield strength bolt w/ less elastic margin than 6 pt bolts.

Rotation (compared to torque) provides a higher confidence in achieving desired bolt tension (cylinder head clamping force).

good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't know if you guys are much into YouTube mechanics but South Main Garage has a pretty good video doing just the front head on a Honda Ridgeline I believe, but its pretty much the same J35 engine. Watched it to get an idea of the job and he mentions the torque (which sent me here to ask for some clarification) but doesn't give any exact specs or sequence. The job is actually fairly easy and can be done with a basic toolbox if that's all you had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.