Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the passenger side deflator replaced on Friday and Saturday (didn't use it on Friday), I noticed that I no longer had the bluetooth symbol on my radio. Also, the steering wheel control didn't do anything. It's a Touring model, no navigation.

I am wondering if the technician disconnected the bluetooth while replacing the deflator, but it was the passenger side airbag deflator and not the driver side... so is it a coincidence? I called the dealership and left a message and just waiting to hear back.

Using my bluetooth is not a MUST but I like the option for safety reasons!

I just looked up the module in case I need to get one and it's $200-ish. Grrr. Still didn't hear back from the dealer though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so the part is $400 and $120 to install... yea I think I'm just going to disconnect it...

·
Registered
52 Posts
HFL control unit (Bluetooth) is mounted in the overhead roof console.
This issue is not related to the airbag inflator recall.
Most likely internal failure of control unit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HFL control unit (Bluetooth) is mounted in the overhead roof console.
This issue is not related to the airbag inflator recall.
Most likely internal failure of control unit.
Yea, just my luck. :(

The dealer wants over $400 for the part and $120 on labor.. I don't NEED bluetooth now, so I will just disconnect the module and buy it in the future if I see it cheap and feel like I need it... I am also thinking about getting one of those devices that you can plug into the back of the radio to give you aux input and bluetooth audio, but I would need the HFL unit fixed to use the steering wheel controls... 1st world problems. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Instead of replacing the factory part, you could put in an entirely new head unit with steering wheel adapter for quite a bit less. That would give you bluetooth, aux input, and better sound quality.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Instead of replacing the factory part, you could put in an entirely new head unit with steering wheel adapter for quite a bit less. That would give you bluetooth, aux input, and better sound quality.
TBH, I don't like modifying things like that..plus I would absolutely not do it myself and I'm sure a good shop would be $$$. I don't do electrical and plus having to remove a bunch of panels and figuring out where to route cables.. that terrifies me!

I have the "upgraded" Bose system and it sounds great for me. Plus, I already still use the factory XM and my in-dash 6 cd changer. I'll admit that I thought about a new head unit when I got a remote starter installed last year (while the shop installed it, I was just browsing around their audio stuff), but then you have to worry about also installing a different amp and then probably new speakers and I could not justify the cost and scope.

Can you install just a new head unit and keep everything else (factory XM adapter? I know I'd lose the cd changer). Using spotify would be nice... but I love my XM! :)

I honestly don't know how much longer I will have this car... 2-3 years maybe. I might be moving cross-country in the next year, so any of these little car repair bills are driving me crazy because I'll be thinking about apartments/land/houses/etc. :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can skip the additional amp and changing the speakers with a speaker level converter. Scosche sells it for $20, or Crutchfield will include it with most radios they sell. The only panel you'd need to remove is the one around the HVAC and radio controls (wood/plastic PLOOD thing), it comes out with a coat hanger in a few seconds. I'm not sure what a shop would charge for the installation, but I'd think less than $100?

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can skip the additional amp and changing the speakers with a speaker level converter. Scosche sells it for $20, or Crutchfield will include it with most radios they sell. The only panel you'd need to remove is the one around the HVAC and radio controls (wood/plastic PLOOD thing), it comes out with a coat hanger in a few seconds. I'm not sure what a shop would charge for the installation, but I'd think less than $100?
That's not too bad... hmm.. I'll need to look into this further! I blame you! >:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't look like I can use my factory xm hookup so that would be extra for the xm adapter and then who knows where the antenna is located. Also, since the HFL is bad, would I still have to replace it in order to use just the steering wheel controls for the phone? The steering controls for volume, channel, etc still work, just not the call/hang up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just bought an audio RCA cable white/red which is right/left audio to 3.5mm jack (male) on ebay for $5 and it is 25 feet long to boot. I ran it from the rear entertainment aux (inside 3rd row seat armrest), under the seats/mats, to the center console and to my phone mount. Just need some 3M stick-on cable clips to stop the wire from hanging and I can now make calls and play music from my phone. Easy fix lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just bought an audio RCA cable white/red which is right/left audio to 3.5mm jack (male) on ebay for $5 and it is 25 feet long to boot. I ran it from the rear entertainment aux (inside 3rd row seat armrest), under the seats/mats, to the center console and to my phone mount. Just need some 3M stick-on cable clips to stop the wire from hanging and I can now make calls and play music from my phone. Easy fix lol
Nice! Unfortunately, mine is the Bose system but non-nav version so I do not have an aux anywhere. :(

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice! Unfortunately, mine is the Bose system but non-nav version so I do not have an aux anywhere. :(
Oh, sorry about that. It's unfortunate that all manufacturers delayed aux input so late on the game. I recall seeing iPods everywhere back in 02 and mp3 players before that...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts