Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2006 Acura MDX heater control valve always open

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  biju822 
#1 ·
Hi all I have a 2006 Acura MDX where I had not heat. I ended up getting it working but disconnecting the heater control valve cable and manually opening the heater control valve. Now I get warm air and cool when needed as the damper door in the HVAC is still working. As the winter is upon us I was just thinking of leaving the cable disconnected and the heater control valve open till the spring. I don't really see a problem leaving it like this but I am not a mechanic.

Is there something I am missing? Is there a problem having coolant running through the heater core all the time?

The only thing I can think of is maybe the engine might take longer to warm up like this, but I am not even sure if that is true since the thermostat seems to be working fine.
Any insights or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

#2 ·
The heater control valve opens when the climate control system calls for heat. It has nothing to do with whether or not the engine is warmed up and doesn't "steal" heat from the engine like a thermostat that is stuck open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.