Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing a trailer hitch. Acura OEM trailer hitch has *required* Transmission ans P/S coolers . Do you really need these on this vehicle if only doing light towing? Sure does seem like an awful lot of extra work and expense.
Has anyone done without?
Also, Recommendations on brands and wiring harness info?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Hi I installed the hitch myself for my 05 mdx, I mainly use it for bike rack ( yakima). I got my thru www.etrailer.com, it came with instrution as well. I did not install any wiring, since I have no intension of towing. hopt this help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
2005 Hitch

I found a Hidden Valley Hitch on E-Bay. I believe I got if for $125 and $25 in shipping. I installed it myself and went with a Thule T2 Bike rack.
I don't intend to tow anything and it looks fine. The cost of the OEM wasn't worth it to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I have a 04 MDX. I installed a UHAUL hitch myself in about 2 hrs. I got the wiring harness from the dealer and installed that. I do not have the coolers and I tow a 16' fishing boat (3000 lb with trailer) about 1 or 2 times a month for 300 miles total distance. NO PROBLEMS.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Pics of hitch installed

For members that have a hitch installed on '04-'06, can you please post a picture of the rear showing the hitch?

I've just installed mine (OEM) and I'm not sure if I needed to trim any of the plastic from the bumper as it seems to not look right; especially since the lower trim is no longer there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Tbebko, I have a 2000 pound Coleman popup with trailer brakes and a 7 pin plug. Does your trailer have brakes? We don't camp very often (once a year) and I too am wondering if the tranny cooler, ps cooler and all the wiring (trailer brakes) is worth the hassle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
The weather is getting nicer and it's time to install a hitch to tow mountain bikes around...

The www.etrailer.com has a bunch of different hitches for our cars.

Anyone have a recommendation on which one is best or any pics of the hitches installed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I installed the OEM hitch, wiring harness, AT cooler and PS cooler. The coolers were cake to install. Don't be intimidated by them. The biggest thing is just taking the from bumper cover off and that's not hard either. AT cooler will increase the life of your transmission regardless of whether or not you ever tow anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Skoobahead said:
Looking at purchasing a trailer hitch. Acura OEM trailer hitch has *required* Transmission ans P/S coolers . Do you really need these on this vehicle if only doing light towing? Sure does seem like an awful lot of extra work and expense.
Has anyone done without?
Also, Recommendations on brands and wiring harness info?

Thanks

I just recently purchased an '06 Touring with Nav. Took it to a U-Haul dealer who had two hitches in stock. The first was a round tube which took the place where the middle panel gets removed. I opted for the second hitch which was rectangular tube and almost hid under the bumper. It was so subtle I talked the dealer into making a cut out on the old trim panel and reinstalling it. It looks great and folks don't even notice I have a hitch!

I have used mine mainly for a bike rack so I haven't done any wiring yet. If I decide that a 4 pin setup will suffice then that is pretty inexpensive and lays inside the interior until you use it. If I decide I want to tow a camper then I will have to look into a combo 7/4 pin and probably a electronic brake controller. Anyone have any ideas on a good inexpensive controller to purchase?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Re: Re: 2005 Trailer hitch info

cnymdxfan said:



I just recently purchased an '06 Touring with Nav. Took it to a U-Haul dealer who had two hitches in stock. The first was a round tube which took the place where the middle panel gets removed. I opted for the second hitch which was rectangular tube and almost hid under the bumper. It was so subtle I talked the dealer into making a cut out on the old trim panel and reinstalling it. It looks great and folks don't even notice I have a hitch!

I have used mine mainly for a bike rack so I haven't done any wiring yet. If I decide that a 4 pin setup will suffice then that is pretty inexpensive and lays inside the interior until you use it. If I decide I want to tow a camper then I will have to look into a combo 7/4 pin and probably a electronic brake controller. Anyone have any ideas on a good inexpensive controller to purchase?
I ordered the same hitch, it's made by Curt, but relabeled by U-Haul. I'm happy with the fit and quality.

Do you have any pics with the modified rear plastic piece?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 2005 Trailer hitch info

tygger said:


I ordered the same hitch, it's made by Curt, but relabeled by U-Haul. I'm happy with the fit and quality.

Do you have any pics with the modified rear plastic piece?
I think that the round tube was made by Curt but the rectangular tube was made by Valley. I am uploading 2 pictures and hope that they come out OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
I know Curt makes two types, the round and rectangular. Valley also makes a rectangular one and your U-Haul shop couldve had either one in stock.

Do you know if your Valley one has the center reinforcement mounts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
tygger said:
I know Curt makes two types, the round and rectangular. Valley also makes a rectangular one and your U-Haul shop couldve had either one in stock.

Do you know if your Valley one has the center reinforcement mounts?
It did indeed have the center reinforcement mount. I'll try once again to upload that picture.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
tygger said:
If you want, you can email me the pics and I'll post them for you. Or you can use a free host such as photobucket or imageshack.

It looks like I got the first photo posted. Now here goes for the second! You gotta admit they did a great job and it looks almost custom. They didn't even charge me for the cutting and reinstallation of the insert because they took it as a challenge and thought it was way cool.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
tygger said:
From what I can see, it looks good, but the pics are sooo small.

I think the first photo is better but I am sorry about the size. :( I'll work on posting a better one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I've had the Thule T-2 on my MDX for a few years now, with no problem. Thule overnighted a replacement part at no cost. The only issue was in Healdsburg, CA where I was pulled over and given a warning by a SHORT POLICE OFFICR, for the rack preventing a clear view of the license plate. I've had this on my car almost for almost 3-years and haven't any other issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I installed the OEM hitch, wiring harness, AT cooler and PS cooler. The coolers were cake to install. Don't be intimidated by them. The biggest thing is just taking the from bumper cover off and that's not hard either. AT cooler will increase the life of your transmission regardless of whether or not you ever tow anything.
what exactly is the p/s and a/t coolers do for the transmission
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Towing generates a lot more heat in your transmission and in the engine compartment than normal driving. ATF stands for automatic transmission fluid. Ideally you'd like your ATF to stay between 100-175 degrees F for long transmission life. As you go up, the fluid degrades faster and it can shorten your transmission life substantially. Transmission fluid can get as hot as 250 degrees F without extra cooling. Much hotter than that and you could have an immediate transmission failure.

A/T cooler stands for automatic transmission cooler. It takes hot ATF and runs it through a radiator that releases the heat to the air. It can be plumbed in-line with the ATF cooler that is already in the MDX radiator, or you can bypass the radiator ATF cooler and have the new cooler do all the work. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

P/S cooler stands for power steering (fluid) cooler. It does basically the same thing. There is not a power steering cooler inside the radiator like with ATF. But the MDX does come with a factory bare tube PS cooler in front of the radiator that cools it off a bit. It isn't very effective since it doesn't have fins. But your power steering fluid doesn't get a lot hotter towing. Allegedly this is more just to get extra heat out of the engine compartment than to cool the PS fluid specifically.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top