Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently had my transmission rebuilt about 20k miles ago.I recently got a P0741 code (Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance/Stuck Off - most likely the solenoid's were not changed during the rebuild). The MDX drives perfect, no hard or erratic shifting. I've had 2 different mechanics diagnose the problem and both observed that the lockup is not properly working at all times at highway speed.

Does anyone know which part I need to order? I see part 28020-RDK-305 is the transmission control solenoid (Honda calls it lock up solenoid). Is this the solenoid that controls the actual TCC lockup? Or is it a separate part? I see that there is another solenoid valve that's related to the TCC also (don't have part #). I'm not sure which part I need to order to start tackling this issue.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update on this for anyone that might encounter this issue with their MDX in the future:

-I switched out the lockup solenoid (part #28020-RDK-305 - I recommend buying the OEM part as it comes with the 2 pieces that control the torque converter lockup (linear solenoid + lockup valve) whereas the aftermarket ones only includes the linear solenoid that controls pressure. It's about a 2-3 hour job for a mechanic certified to work on transmissions.

-I reset the CEL and will now monitor and see if it comes back.

-If you get code P0741, I would first change your transmission fluid and then replace the TCC lockup solenoid before agreeing to a rebuild or switching out the tranmission valve body (especially if your transmission is not showing any major symptoms).

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Good advice. Always (!) do a drain-and-fill first. If that fixes - or even improves - the problem, then do another, or better, two more drain-and-fills. They're cheap and easy, and are the best thing you can do to keep your MDX on the road for another 100,000 miles.

FWIW, I've also had good luck adding LubeGard Platinum to Honda / Acura (and some other) transmissions. I don't normally like to use snake oil, but the stuff has worked for me (and apparently quite a few others).

And heck yeah, don't rebuild a transmission if it's not slipping WHILE IN GEAR (that is, if you can rev the motor with the transmission still engaged, the clutch pack is shot, and you need to replace / rebuild the tranny). But if it shifts "funny" (like going into "neutral" between gears, or jerking, or delaying), then it's a "control problem", and most of those seem to be fixed by replacing the shift solenoids and/or pressure switches. Those are all MUCH less money and trouble than a tranny rebuild / swap. I've bought several "well-used" cars with transmission problems, and never had to replace one yet... just fluid and/or a few parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welp, spoke a little too soon. The code came back again after about 200 miles of driving. I'm not sure what to do at this point aside from doing another drain-and-fill. I hate the thought of spending on another rebuild so I may just drive it as-is since the car is still driving perfectly/shifting correctly. Sigh... if not for the weak point in this gens transmission, the early gen MDX would truly be a masterpiece.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I helped out a buddy with a Honda Odyssey (similar transmission) and replaced the solenoids, and pressure switches (and I think a couple other things). It DID seem like adding some LubeGard Platinum was the magic step though. Sometimes it's hard to say with certainty, but a second (or third?) fluid change with a dose of LubeGard and it was finally shifting right again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts