Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
We have a 2005 MDX touring, with just over 255,000 miles. Great car, love it.
Drove it yesterday morning everything just fine, went to drive it yesterday evening and I could not move the shifter out of park. Never had this happen before. Dash showed the yellow triangle with a "!" and the VSA light was on. Googled for info and couldn't find anything on point for an 05. Checked brake lights, not functioning, nor was the horn. Tried to identify the relevant fuse and found out it's not straight forward. Checked the owners manual, couldn't identify the brake light or the shift lock fuse (pages 278, 279). Following a response I found I replaced the brake light switch (not to difficult just a bit cramped), made no difference.
Finally figured out this morning, from a diagram I found, that the brake light / shift lock fuse in my MDX is fuse #7 (20A) in the Primary Under-Hood fuse box. Cunningly labelled "Stop". Replaced fuse, all working good so far. No idea why the fuse blew, will keep an eye on it.

Anyways, I wanted to post this info so that anyone else experiencing a similar issue can quickly identify the correct fuse, rather than waste their time like I did.

regards
Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,
We have a 2005 MDX touring, with just over 255,000 miles. Great car, love it.
Drove it yesterday morning everything just fine, went to drive it yesterday evening and I could not move the shifter out of park. Never had this happen before. Dash showed the yellow triangle with a "!" and the VSA light was on. Googled for info and couldn't find anything on point for an 05. Checked brake lights, not functioning, nor was the horn. Tried to identify the relevant fuse and found out it's not straight forward. Checked the owners manual, couldn't identify the brake light or the shift lock fuse (pages 278, 279). Following a response I found I replaced the brake light switch (not to difficult just a bit cramped), made no difference.
Finally figured out this morning, from a diagram I found, that the brake light / shift lock fuse in my MDX is fuse #7 (20A) in the Primary Under-Hood fuse box. Cunningly labelled "Stop". Replaced fuse, all working good so far. No idea why the fuse blew, will keep an eye on it.

Anyways, I wanted to post this info so that anyone else experiencing a similar issue can quickly identify the correct fuse, rather than waste their time like I did.

regards
Paul
Paul, you’re awesome, had the exact same problem. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Paul, you’re awesome, had the exact same problem. Thanks
Hey there Paul, I was having the exact same problem, except now the #7 fuse blows every time I hit the brake pedal (I switched out the fuse with the car running, and it didn’t blow until I tapped the brakes). Have you had any further issues like this? I’m guessing there’s a short with the brakes or something, but I don’t know very much about electrical systems. Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Simon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there Paul, I was having the exact same problem, except now the #7 fuse blows every time I hit the brake pedal (I switched out the fuse with the car running, and it didn’t blow until I tapped the brakes). Have you had any further issues like this? I’m guessing there’s a short with the brakes or something, but I don’t know very much about electrical systems. Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Simon
Hi
I have same problem with my Acura MDX 2006. How did you fix it?
Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
I have same problem with my Acura MDX 2006. How did you fix it?
Thank you
So I'm not sure if this fixed the problem, but someone had hooked up the trailer lights adapter pretty poorly. I stripped all the DIY wiring away because it had some exposed wires. That seemed to help for a little while, but then the fuse started blowing again.
I found something online about possible corrosion/rust on the connections of the taillights themselves causing issues, so I replaced them. After I replaced the taillights the fuse stopped blowing; that being said, the parking brake light on my dash sometimes flickers, and it's still doing that, so I'm going to replace the brake switches as suggested (my girlfriend's dad is a mechanic and said this is something DIY pretty easily). There are apparently two switches, one for the brake pedal, and one for the parking brake, so I'm just going to replace both.

On top of all that, my VSA light is still on and the disable/enable VSA button next to the steering wheel still doesn't work. Not sure if that is happening to anyone else, and I don't know if it's a symptom of the brake switch problem or not. No other fuses appear to be blown.

Hope that info helps to some degree!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
No need to replace those brake light switches IMHO - if they are passing current to blow the fuse, they're working fine. The parking brake switch is another thing altogether (not connected to the brake light circuit).

I'd also doubt that dirty connectors would be the problem - that would likely cause NO brake lights, but not a blown fuse - unless there was a very low-resistance blob of something in the plug, shorting the brake light pin to a grounded pin (sounds unlikely).

More likely there is still some problem due to the poorly installed trailer connection. If the installer left exposed wires, they probably did something else wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts