Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! I'm new to the forum, and although there are a few threads that address shifting issues, none seem to be the same as what I'm experiencing.

I'll start by saying that I purchased this vehicle about 3 months ago from a private seller. It has 138,000 miles on it. I ran a Carfax that shows 2 owners and all recommended maintenance up to date until 2017, about 9,000 miles ago(no records available since). The vehicle runs and drives beautifully, with this one exception.

When I shift into D5, whether from P or R, it sort of feels sticky. If I immediately take off, it jerks. So, I have to wiggle the shifter and wait to feel the gear engage before I give it gas.

I took it to my local Acura dealership, where I was told that this is normal for the 2005 and nothing can be done outside of replacing the transmission. They also wanted $300 to do a transmission flush.

I then took it to a different, honest/reliable mechanic and had a transmission flush done for $150. The mechanic said that the transmission oil was filthy, and because they can't drain all of it, I may want to consider another flush in 5,000-6,000 miles.

Since the flush it only happens sporadically. I also notice that if I shift down to D1 then up to D5 it doesn't give me any problems.

Is this a shifter cable issue? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
That could be a shift linkage / switch issue, or it could be that by selecting D1, you're kind of forcing the transmission to "work around" the issue (which sounds to be a "control issue").

The MDX (and other Honda) transmissions are very sensitive to transmission fluid condition - dirty fluid causes all sort of issues, which may or may not be totally cured by your flush (something that I tend to not recommend because some flush processes can stir up otherwise "safe" sediment where it can cause issues). Most times, the problem will be that your shift solenoids (which are basically electromagnets) will attract and capture very fine metal particles that are a natural byproduct of putting a lot of miles on the car. This can cause the solenoids to stick - it's always possible that with the fresh new fluid, they will eventually clear, and your transmission will go back to behaving itself.

One thing that I did find works well on Honda trannies with this kind of problem is to add 10 ounces of LubeGard Platinum - I'm normally very skeptical of "snake oil" but have had lots of luck fixing misbehaving transmissions with the stuff - I can only assume that it helps lubricate and clear gunk from those places it accumulates. In your case, it won't hurt, and might help - as might just driving it for another month.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agree with Habbyguy,,, also the solenoids (external on the transmission) may be a cause. Also, the harness itself may be part of the reason. Take it to a reputable transmission shop or to the Honda/Acura dealer and have them run their diagnostics on it. If you can catch it early enough you may be able to save yourself a tranny swap. (speaking from experience...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts