Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radiator has had a small seepage leak for months... Honda wanted $400 to replace radiator.
Being a Above average DIY er ,I read up on it, and with discussion here for a generation 2 mdx.https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/157897-diy-replace-radiator-flush-f-2g-mdx.html
2 to 4 hours turned into 8 hours , with rusted broken bolts, finally finished , knowing It was done rite, Started , and leaking New radiator new coolant all over the ground....
Difficulty is 10 out of ten, and should NOT be attempted by any novice.
After working all day, on my only day off, sending it to Honda to do it again.
Lesson learned....Some jobs "pay the freight" cheaper than aggravation!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
That is obviously disappointing after spending that much time fighting rusty nuts/bolts. The success rate on replacing the radiators has been terrific so much so that you are the first post I have read to report failure! This tells me that either the radiator you purchased may have been faulty or more likely one of the fittings were overtightened causing the leak. There is a logical reason for it leaking be it as mentioned or possible loose hose connector or again overtightened separating the hose attachment from its weld on the radiator. So where exactly was the leak coming from?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May be defective, CSF Radiator 3472 - OE Replacement 19.69 x 30.63 x 0.94 in. Core Size (replacement). No fittings were touched, slip on upper and lower radiator hoses, and 2 trans lines , all new clamps...Leak not coming from any obvious area, except somewhere behind fans.
Shop will investigate, and I will keep post informed...thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We must have poked a pinhole in radiator. The shop soldered it, and walla on our way! But now hood latch cable fell off at , "under hood" latch , Going to try coat hanger trick this afternoon. This car has been the best car Ive owned ever until now.....Ugh!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hood release , cable replacement...

Ok got Hood open, Have new cable. Is there a tutorial for replacing this cable anywhere???Also got new hood shocks, and all new cowl lock "buttons"!! Hoping for no more surprises!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts