Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I need your advice.

The Acura dealer alert me that my oil pump is leaking caused by the gasket needs to be replaced.

I have done many DIY on my cars, but not this one. Does any have the step-by-step guide or video on how to do this?
Or, do you think I should pay the money and let them do it?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
There are some O-rings, though there's not really a gasket, but it's sealed using a liquid sealant.

From what I can see, replacing the oil pump would entail everything that is involved in doing a timing belt change (good time to schedule that!), plus whatever extra steps are involved. Unfortunately, the extra steps will include jacking up the engine and pulling off the oil pan (the pick-up bolts to the inaccessible bottom of the oil pump). Ouch.

FWIW, I haven't read much about oil pumps leaking, though it's not too uncommon for the front main seal to leak. Kind of the same problem in the end - you have to tear down the engine to the point that you are ready to start reinstalling a new timing belt (and most likely, tensioners and water pump, naturally - unless you just did them recently as part of a prior timing belt swap).

Also, there are more O-rings between the pump and the oil filter housing than between the pump and the engine block - with any luck, the problem is there, and can be remedied by pulling off the oil filter housing.

Here's a diagram showing what this system looks like:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are some O-rings, though there's not really a gasket, but it's sealed using a liquid sealant.

From what I can see, replacing the oil pump would entail everything that is involved in doing a timing belt change (good time to schedule that!), plus whatever extra steps are involved. Unfortunately, the extra steps will include jacking up the engine and pulling off the oil pan (the pick-up bolts to the inaccessible bottom of the oil pump). Ouch.

FWIW, I haven't read much about oil pumps leaking, though it's not too uncommon for the front main seal to leak. Kind of the same problem in the end - you have to tear down the engine to the point that you are ready to start reinstalling a new timing belt (and most likely, tensioners and water pump, naturally - unless you just did them recently as part of a prior timing belt swap).

Also, there are more O-rings between the pump and the oil filter housing than between the pump and the engine block - with any luck, the problem is there, and can be remedied by pulling off the oil filter housing.
Thanks Habbyguy. I think you are correct that the O-rings are going bad.

The leak is not bad where no oil drips to the ground.

Is there a video or step-by-step instruction to replace the O-rings? I'm trying to decide if spending $1000+ worth the effort or if I could do it myself and safe lots of money.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I just did this job on my son's 93 MDX. Not too bad. Clean area thoroughly before removing Vtec/Filter assy. Disconnecting the vtec solenoid from the harness is PIA. Remove connector from blade mount and then disconnect. See following video for Odyssey which is same for MDX.

good luck

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I'd be very (!) hard-pressed to drop a grand on fixing a leak that doesn't even cause a drip. Hey, it's an internal combustion engine... it's supposed to leak a little. ;-) Maybe my experience is tempered by having owned a Jeep Cherokee for nearly 20 years. They have a plethora of potential leaks, and mine had every one of 'em (valve cover, oil filter housing, oil pan and rear main seal). Fortunately they weren't TOO hard to fix, with the oil pan and RMS being kind of a twofer, with the split RMS that allows you to swap it out by just dropping the pan and one journal cover). In the end, if you've got a very tiny leak like that and it bothers you, just stuff a shop towel in the path of the oil and change it out ever six months. ;-)

And TexasHonda, I'd love to see a photo of your son's 1993 MDX. ;-) Seriously though, that's a great video, and shows just how easy this fix is. Love the way they fast-forwarded so much of the "standard bits".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for all the info.:29: I got the oil pump out and in the process cleaning up.

I notice some kind of "collar" on the crank shaft hole, behind the crank seal (see picture), on which it has odd shapes and rotates along with crank shaft. I assume there is only way to fit this onto the crank shaft, but upon inspection the crank shaft has 2 flat sides not matching the collar shapes. :1pat:

Any input on direction? Does it matter?

Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.