Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried putting on larger rear brake calipers on a 2005 / first-generation MDX? The stock ones are smaller and seem a bit underpowered.

Are there any acura/honda calipers or other manufacturers that fit onto the stock hub bracket, or a custom parts maker that has made larger rear calipers? I haven't found any searching thus far.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Why do you need larger rear brakes? Since the vehicle weight shifts under braking the front brakes are doing the most 90% of the times. Unless you drive with your MDX fully loaded or Tow? the rear brakes size is highly irrelevant.

You will benefit the most changing to a more aggressive brake pad instead of changing the rear caliper size or rotor.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Why do you need larger rear brakes? Since the vehicle weight shifts under braking the front brakes are doing the most 90% of the times. Unless you drive with your MDX fully loaded or Tow? the rear brakes size is highly irrelevant.

You will benefit the most changing to a more aggressive brake pad instead of changing the rear caliper size or rotor.

Agree.

If your current brakes are in good order and you try a panic stop, you will probably find that both the front and rear cycle the ABS.

If you change the balance with any modifications, you will just kick in the rear ABS sooner and get no more breaking power.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... fair enough. It's certainly easier than changing calipers, but I'm not really convinced of the worth of $100 per wheel brake pads vs. CarQuest Wearever Platinums for $50 or so for a front or rear set of 4.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You will be amazed what good brake pads can do... Specially track pads.
I got those pads (Wearever Plats) on my MDX and they perform very well in touge sessions, They resist fade fairly well.
BUT if EBC Brakes had a Yellow Stuff set for the MDX? It will perform 100% better for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts