Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2005 MDX gas too high consumption

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TexasHonda 
#1 ·
Dear all,

I own a 05 MDX at 140k Km. I notice that my X eats constantly 20L/100km supreme fuel. I drive most in the city this winter (Montreal, Qc). I have checked around the forum but dont find anyone at this high consumption.
Any guy share the same situation with me? Or anyone know if there is smth wrong with my X?
All information are appreciated.

Thank you

#3 ·
I think this is around 11.8 MPG in U.S. units, so that is a bit low.

How much ethanol is in your gas there (if any)? Much of the U.S. is using E10 now, which will reduce fuel economy by maybe 3% to 5%.

Do you see this in the summer as well? Winter fuel economy is typically worse.

Are your tires properly inflated? Are you using the original tires or some other brand?

Do you drive aggressively, especially when pulling away from a stop?

Does your car warm up properly? If the thermostat is stuck, that can kill your fuel economy.

Does your torque converter lock up properly once you reach cruising speed on the highways?

#4 ·
I have an 09, so the comparison may not be valid, but even in the city, I get about 15l/100 km. I was doing better than that until the software "upgrade". Now the mdx shifts at higher points, so uses more fuel.

One thing for me that made a big difference was to turn the AC off. When I first got the car, it was sucking gas in the winter. The dealer told me to make sure to turn off the AC. I gained quite a bit by doing that. On the 09, in auto mode, you hit the AC button. The screen reads AC off. The default is to have it on so that the heated air is drier.

#5 ·
Thanks for your share.
It is really expensive when enjoy seating in your X with almost 3$ per 1 km of drive. I guess so many guys you there share the same consumption.

If anyone how to have a solution, please let me know. Thank you very much.

#6 ·
Suggest having a scan perofrmed w/ obd2 scanner to get the Long Term Fuel Trim. This will show if additional metered fuel is getting added, + LTFT. If LTFT is near zero, then fuel may be leaking; corroded fuel line, leaking injector, crack in fuel tank.

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.