Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone post a photo of where the power steering fluid line is in the MDX? I noticed what I thought was an oil leak but after reading some posts on this forum I think it might be power steering fluid. It looks like a leak from a hose under the serpentine belt and next to the oil filter. I attached a photo of the line I think is leaking. Does anyone have instructions on how to repair this part or where to get it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
HP hose is a known leak source. Inspect upper and lower crimps and outlet oring. PS pump can leak from body or shaft. Inlet pump fitting has an oring but leak will cause air to be pulled into pump and whining/groaning noise.

good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HP hose is a known leak source. Inspect upper and lower crimps and outlet oring. PS pump can leak from body or shaft. Inlet pump fitting has an oring but leak will cause air to be pulled into pump and whining/groaning noise.

good luck
Is the corroded looking hose in the pic I post the high pressure line? I think that's where the leak is coming from and want to make sure since the fluid looks like oil but now I'm assuming its power steering fluid.

Would it be ok to drive the car to get it fixed or will that cause more damage? Thanks

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
No, PS discharge line originates from PS pump near top dead center of engine. It's metal tube near PS pump and transitions to a flexible hose for bulk of length.

Suggest getting some professional help.

good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, PS discharge line originates from PS pump near top dead center of engine. It's metal tube near PS pump and transitions to a flexible hose for bulk of length.

Suggest getting some professional help.

good luck
I'm sure its power steering fluid now. I'm trying to determine if its the power steering return line but I can't find anything that shows how to replace it. I think its part 19 "Pipe B, Return (10mm)" ( Acura online store : 2005 mdx p.s. lines parts ) . I will have to take it into a shop now if I don't find a easy way to change it but I'm hoping I could just replace the metal portion in between the rubber hoses if that's possible

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
There is some metal replaceable line on the PS return line from the PS rack to the cooling loop in front of radiator.

good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is some metal replaceable line on the PS return line from the PS rack to the cooling loop in front of radiator.

good luck
That's the part I think failed. Do you know if there are instructions on replacing it available anywhere? Or is it just undoing the clips and sliding it back into the two rubber hoses? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I checked shop manual and no detailed instructions were available. You'll have to trace line and find the connections. Part should be available through Acura.

good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does it mention the length or inner or outer diameter of that pipe. I wonder if I can just use a different hose cut to splice in there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No mention of tubing size.

good luck
So I gave it a shot and was able to remove the bolt but the hose clamps were rusted on. I soaked them in pb blaster but I still snapped one of the screws on the clamp and had to take it into a shop to get it off. They snipped them and had to yank the hose clamps off and put new ones on. Took them about 20 minutes while I watched haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts