Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the fourm and could use some advice on diagnosing my Mom's MDX. I'll be as thorough with the symptoms as possible.

Pre breakdown; the car has recently had a ticking problem the past few months, which I thought may be due to using 87 octane most of its life. The ticking gets faster with higher rpm's, and has seemed to get considerably louder the past month or so. The ticking sounds like it is coming from around the rear bank on the driver's side engine compartment. There was never any power loss/cel/ or other problems other than the tick. Until yesterday...

Yesterday while driving, I started noticing that the ticking that has been going on, is no longer there. Not 5 minutes later, the car started misfiring which threw off the cel, and then the vtm4 light shortly after. I limped it back home, and then decided to try and get to the nearest autozone for a code reader. The car didn't make it. While driving along, the engine just died and now won't restart. The engine cranks, but I don't think it's getting spark. I pulled a few plugs, and could smell fuel. I don't think im getting spark.

I did some searching around the fourm, where the egr valve and ports may be a possible cause, so I took the manifold off and cleaned the ports, with no success.
I got a code reader, which gave me multiple misfire codes, and a random misfire code. I haven't pulled the timing cover, but I don't think the timing belt snapped. I'm trying to get a fuel pressure gauge and compression tester, so I'm out of ideas at the moment. Any other ideas that may be a cause to these symptoms?

Any help would be appreciated to get the battle tank back on the road, the fourm looks good too. :29:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
First step in no-start condition is to determine if fuel or spark is missing. Suggest pulling Coil-Over-Plug (COP) units individually and checking w/ an old plug installed in the COP whether a spark is generated when engine is turned over. Check as many or all of the cylinders.

Missing spark on mulitiple COP's or all is unusual and usually implies something else is causing problem such as crankshaft position sensor or other input to PCM.

Post what you find.

good luck

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Pre breakdown; the car has recently had a ticking problem the past few months, which I thought may be due to using 87 octane most of its life.
You continued to use the wrong fuel for the car, even though you realized the engine was knocking??? :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
So where there ever a fix. I'm having a similar issue on my 04 with 111k on it. New starter new battery swapped relays around checked coils and plug everything seems and looks good but no spark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts