Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 MDX Touring, has 38000 miles on it, and just today when my wife went to park it, she couldn't shift it above neutral. After going back to drive and back and forth 2 or 3 times, it went ahead up into reverse and park. This happened twice this afternoon. What might be wrong ? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
Hmm... I wonder if it has to do with the shift lock. You know usually you have to hit the brake for it to let you shift out of park. Or it could be more serious. Definitely need to take that in the shop for some TLC. Should still be in warranty.

·
Registered
768 Posts
midnightMDX said:
Hmm... I wonder if it has to do with the shift lock. You know usually you have to hit the brake for it to let you shift out of park.
Most likely this is the culprit. You can use the key override (slot in the console) to see if it is the switch. If you turn the key and it works then it is the ignition interlock switch that is defective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I took this to the dealer. They found a faulty brake light sensor and replaced it. Then when we got home, it did it again ! So, back to the dealer.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sounds like the cable might be crudded up at the transmission end. There are previous posts on cleaning and lubing it or replacing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took this back to the dealer. They replaced the shifter gate. It seems better now, but still sticks a little when attempting to shift smoothly up from Drive into park. It stops in neutral, and you have to jog it to the left prior to it being able to move to the right and up into R and P. I'm going to drive for a few weeks and see how it does.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car won't start. When I turn the key over I just get get a bunch of clicking noise. The gear shift if stuck and is reading in drive but it is in park. Just wanting to know if this is all related and what it can be. I've replaced the battery and terminals. And the starter is good. If anyone can help if appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts