Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of trying to diagnose and fix an AC/Heat issue.

First thing that happened is that AC stopped blowing cold, then it blew hot, then hot air kept coming in even with the air system off. So I did some research and was led to the air blender motor. Before I had time to take it off, I reached back and manually moved the rod which shifted air between cold and hot. I got it cold, then hot, etc.

Well, I would like to fix the issue for good now. I took out the motor, took some gears out, put back in, and re-connected it. It moves and works. But in the process of snapping the rod out originally off the motor (the back part was harder to disconnect), it was bent (see picture). Do you think this will be a problem? If so, is there anywhere to get *just the rod*? Internet search turned out blank. I'm having a hard time re-attaching the rod to the motor because of the big white gear location/angle.

Also, which part actually controls hot/cold mix—the white part attached to the rod or the white part that simply hovers on top of and in the small metal groove that inserts from the motor?

Finally, what is/was the issue, do you think? Note: I still haven't got to test it with all components back in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I assumed you could post pictures because I saw them here in another thread.

But I see that part of the "posting rules" is that we may not post attachments now.

I will try the local home improvement store but somehow I double I will find the correct length, shape, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the rod out, straightened it, and re-assembled gears in motor. Thanks for the tip.

Still not working. AC blows, can't get heat to blow.:frown2:

Wish I could post a link to the video I uploaded to YouTube showing what's happening with swivels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I didn't want to get in trouble for that, but anyway--here it is: youtu . be/jjHRDg1l1jI (no spaces)

Yes, the parts all move. Some claim it re-adjusts as necessary if you get the gears in the wrong place, but either way, I think I got the gears right.

Also, can anyone upload a picture or help me figure out where the floor light attaches back on (see picture)? I took it off months ago and can't remember where it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It sure looks like the mechanism is all moving properly (can't swear the range of movement is full and 100% correct, though). Are you certain that's the air mix motor that controls the heat / A/C mix? There are about three of the motors down there that move flaps in the air box.

Also, it could be you have a problem that has nothing to do with a mix motor - if your heater core is clogged up, you're not going to get heat no matter what position the mix motor puts the vents in. But it's kind of confusing since the original problem seemed to be that the system WAS blowing hot, and that the A/C didn't work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, it's very bizarre. I can get either the heat or AC to work by manually closing the flap. But for some reason, the electronics don't want to regulate it. That's why I suspect the motor isn't doing it's job right.

Any hints on where the light goes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts