Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my AC stopped working let me give a full list of symptoms/the backstory.
For the past week AC would not blow intermittently, I noticed that if i revved the engine it would start working.

Last night I was driving and while on the freeway the AC stopped blowing cold, the FRONT blower fan would not turn on the back would. At first their was a trickle of cold coming out of both then it all just stopped.

Today I attempted to replace the front blower. I actually did replace it, however it would still not turn on. After some research I decided to replace the resistor. I had both a brand new resistor and blower in. Still only the back blower would turn on the front would not. I checked the voltage going to the blower motor and was getting a full 12v.

I ultimately returned both the resistor and the blower as I did not believe they were the issue.

Now I'm stuck with not knowing what the issues is. I want to say compressor, but would that stop the blower from turning on?

Thoughts?

I live in Phoenix AZ so an AC is pretty dang important

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The simple answer is, if the blower motor is getting 12 volts, and isn't turning, you have a bad blower motor. The compressor has nothing to do with it.

The symptoms also point toward a bad motor (higher voltage when rev'ing the motor gets the motor to turn). You may have gotten a new blower motor that was defective, or done something wrong installing it. You should plug in a new blower motor before bolting it in place, to check its operation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The simple answer is, if the blower motor is getting 12 volts, and isn't turning, you have a bad blower motor. The compressor has nothing to do with it.

The symptoms also point toward a bad motor (higher voltage when rev'ing the motor gets the motor to turn). You may have gotten a new blower motor that was defective, or done something wrong installing it. You should plug in a new blower motor before bolting it in place, to check its operation.
That was my thought exactly however I replaced the blower with 2 different blowers.

I went to Autozone and got a blower motor, was able to install in the parking lot because well you just need to plug it in. When I tried turning it on nothing happened. My assumption was that the motor was fine and it was the resistor. They didn't have the resistor at the store I was at so I drove to a store that had a resistor. I replaced the resistor with a new resistor and still nothing worked. I went back in the store and asked the guy if I could buy another motor. I bought a completely new motor again and tested that motor with the new resistor, still nothing.

I fiddled with it some more tonight and can confirm that the rear blower works, except now there is no more cold air, leading me to believe the compressor isn't working. When I look at the compressor it looks like the clutch isn't engaging. I don't see how this explains the blower not working but can see how this explains the lack of cold air coming out of the back blower.

Question, should I be able to test the blower by going directly to the battery? I tried it once by using some clips to go directly to the blower motor and nothing happened. ? Any reason that wouldn't work as a test for the blower motor? Also, when I "replaced" the blower and motor i didn't completely install them back into their compartments/areas I just sorta plugged them in and held the motor in had, could that be why it didn't work? Maybe like a sensor wasn't registering?

Thanks and I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Again, if you have 12 volts going to the motor, and it's not turning, it's a bad motor, plain and simple. You said that you did have 12 volts at the motor in your first post, so - unless you messed up the measurement - you have a bad blower motor.

If everything else is right, you should be able to run the blower motor unmounted.

Have you checked the fuses associated with the circuit? You might have popped one trying to get the new motor / resistor hooked up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, if you have 12 volts going to the motor, and it's not turning, it's a bad motor, plain and simple. You said that you did have 12 volts at the motor in your first post, so - unless you messed up the measurement - you have a bad blower motor.

If everything else is right, you should be able to run the blower motor unmounted.

Have you checked the fuses associated with the circuit? You might have popped one trying to get the new motor / resistor hooked up.
The plot thickens.
SO double checked everything I've posted so far. Fuses all check out, voltage to the blower motor and resistor check out, was even able to bench check the motor everything checked out. I took it in to a mechanic (i don't know this mechanics work as it was the first available person I could find). After 3 hours of various checks he can't find the issue either. He checked fuses, resistor, blower motor and all come back good. I was thinking of sending it into the dealer.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
One more time, and then I promise I'll shut up.

If you are getting 12 volts to the motor and it's not turning, it's a bad motor. Of course, there IS a ground involved (just in case your meter is connected from a vehicle ground instead of the negative power lead to the fan).

But it's almost like you're telling us that you have 12 volts at the motor, and it's not turning... and then you take it out and put the same 12 volts to it and it does turn? If so, you're just doing something wrong (check the ground connection?).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.