Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new member here. I picked up a clean 05 for super cheap because it's having some transmission issues, with the intent of getting it roadworthy and reselling. What appeared to have happened is the trans cooler in the radiator went (has been bypassed by previous owner) and got antifreeze in the trans. Initially the trans would only work in 1st , 2nd, and reverse and speedo didn't work as well. The speed sensors were covered in fluid from being overfilled with coolant/atf, so I cleaned the sensors, did a 3x3 fluid change so now I have good clean fluid and the trans works if I take off in 2nd then switch to drive. However, the car just sits there and revs if it tries to go into 1st in drive. The trans doesn't slip in 2nd-5th, or grind or make any whining noises and can even go into lockup after doing my initial repairs, and the drain plug didn't have any crazy metal shavings on it, so I'm thinking the car didn't get driven once it had the issue, and I might have caught it before there was any catastrophic damage done to the trans. I've read about maybe checking/replacing solenoids/valves or shift linkage? Any help on what I could check would be much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds like same issue. Service manual seems to believe 1st accumulator or clutch pack, but service manuals don't always have the right diagnosis since they are written without much vehicle history. I've never seen comments on replacing solenoids for this specific problem.

[/URL]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That guy sounds like he's having almost an identical issue. The first section on that service manual, but I only have a "flare" when starting in D, but as long as you use first manually, it's ok. The stall speed is also fine for all gears. I'm gonna investigate some of the solenoids/switches and linkage this afternoon and hope my problem lies there. I also saw that a strainer could be clogged. Is this something I could easily check?

·
Registered
237 Posts
People have found all manner of strangeness with the configuration of these transmissions and revisions over the years as Honda was trying to address the problems, but I believe most 2005 and 2006 transmissions have a cartridge filter only accessible if you drop the transmission off the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I think I found my issue, 2 of the shift solenoids were not plugged in. Anyone know which color wire goes to which solenoid?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I assume you are saying that the harnesses could go to either solenoid, and don't know which one goes to each?

Can you get a pic of where they are, or the part number of the solenoid?

I can't believe this didn't throw an open circuit PCM code.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I haven't looked up what these are, I thought they were hall effect sensors, but is it them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are the vehicle speed sensors, I got the speedo working after cleaning those off. These 4 sensors are underneath 2 clutch pressure valves on the right of the trans. Unfortunately going through all these didn't really address my problem, however it goes into reverse and 1st 2nd better, but I still dont have 1st gear in drive, and the engine just revs in 3rd gear. I guess my last hope is checking the 3rd & 4th clutch switches, or maybe there's even an ecu related problem, otherwise I'm most likely gonna have to pull apart the trans :( I do have a vsa light on but not sure if it's related

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

These are codes I previously had using my bluedriver. I'm not sure if any of these or the vsa light could be trans related? My cruise doesn't work either

1 - 9 of 9 Posts