Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult would it be to add a backup camera to the stock base unit? Does the MDX come prewired and with a input jack? Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds like a ton of work but you can buy on amazon a cheap backup camera that just attaches to your rear license plate. Those are very cheap and effective.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
  • I agree - I am 99% sure the wiring harness isn't installed, so routing that cable for a stock camera is going to be a bear. The aftermarket wireless units are going to be a lot easier to install.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi we added a backup camera to a 2001, and the wiring was a bear. We connected the input to a Kenwood head unit, wiring front to back under the headliner, and through the tailgate to the license plate. All purchased from Crutchfield with great directions, but we had to figure out how to get the wiring from front to back. It was an awesome outcome, but did take a few hours. We imagined that professionals have the right tools to hook through the small holes in the tailgate, but since we didn't we had to improvise and that's what took a long time. Eventually used a fishing tool for headliner install, can't recall exactly how we did the tailgate but any creative, problem-solving, determined person can figure it out. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I'm pretty good at fishing wires through a car, but I'd want to go wireless if I was putting a camera on the car. I did put a wireless camera / rear view mirror in my RV. That's kind of pushing the limits (it's a LONG way back to the camera) but it was still the right way to do it, IMHO.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm pretty good at fishing wires through a car, but I'd want to go wireless if I was putting a camera on the car. I did put a wireless camera / rear view mirror in my RV. That's kind of pushing the limits (it's a LONG way back to the camera) but it was still the right way to do it, IMHO.
Agreed. Put a wireless BUC in wife’s TL and it’s pretty easy. Think I paid $130 and it’s easily as good as OEM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts