Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Acura MDX Touring Billet Silver Metallic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I drive a 2005 MDX Touring with about 220K on it. Now that it is getting warm outside and have been running the a/c more, still not constantly, my MPG have dropped from a low 18 mpg to (the lowest) 9mpg! I don’t drive the vehicle hard, try to keep the a/c off whenever possible because of this issue, but I’ve had 3 Acura’s and 2 Honda’s and even the one 4 cylinder I had didn’t lose that much mpg when running the air full blast. What gives? Thanks!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hi everyone, I drive a 2005 MDX Touring with about 220K on it. Now that it is getting warm outside and have been running the a/c more, still not constantly, my MPG have dropped from a low 18 mpg to (the lowest) 9mpg! I don’t drive the vehicle hard, try to keep the a/c off whenever possible because of this issue, but I’ve had 3 Acura’s and 2 Honda’s and even the one 4 cylinder I had didn’t lose that much mpg when running the air full blast. What gives? Thanks!
I used to get an average of 17-19 MPG in mixed driving in my '05. If your A/C put anywhere near the load on the engine to cut MPG in half, the engine wouldn't be able to run at idle - it would stall.

Suggest that you run the numbers a few more times. Do an actual MPG computation by fuel used and added. It's possible that your dash display is giving you a bad value.

·
Registered
2005 Acura MDX Touring Billet Silver Metallic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s the odd thing, it has never hesitated or even had a rough idle. When the gas mileage went down, I was at a stop sign waiting to turn and it stalled with no warning, all dash lights came on (bc the key was of course still turned). I restarted it immediately and it didn’t happen again but i turned the ac off after it stalled for the rest of the day. Now it seems like the problem isn’t quite as bad but it hasn’t been as hot outside.

·
Registered
962 Posts
If you live in the Northern states, they may not have transitioned to "Summer" blend gasoline yet. Winter blend vaporizes more easily, and it can cause the symptoms that you are describing wheb used in hot weather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts