Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
How are your motor mounts? I dont think the trans needs to be changed now. But its up to you. You cause always complain that the fix didnt help enough and see if they can do something about the price.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi~

I think my 2005 MDX 92k has the same judder issue.

My "judder" feeling happens mainly between 30-40mph when I am not stepping the gas.

I haven't come back to forum for a while. Originally, I thought the "judder" was something on the road causing it because it seems it was happening mostly on a particular section of Route 1 around my home. Then, I thought it was my wheel/tire balance because my previous car has a very similar feeling with a tire balance issue at higher speed, and I have bump one of my MDX wheel onto crub a while ago.

After look at this forum, I think I should have the exact same problem.

I have already upgraded my software last month.

This "Judder" still happens occassionly (most often still on the same section RT 1 of NJ). For driving, it was not too bad to live with it. I asked my wife who sits next to me, she does not notice any feeling.

Question: Is it necessary to change the torque converter now? or I only need to change it when the problem become worse? Any suggestion?
Are you feeling this when you are completely off the gas or under light throttle?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you feeling this when you are completely off the gas or under light throttle?
It seems I can feel it even my foot was completely off the gas. I will have to test it more to confirm.

Will it be a different problem if I can feel it when I am completely off the Gas, or if I can still feel it if I drive in D4?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
As far as I know the whole torque converter/judder thing is only happening when the car is in high gear at low speeds with part throttle. Maybe someone else that actually had the converter die can confirm this. But for me it was really just bogging because it was in 5th gear with the converter locked up at very low speeds. Manually drop it into 4th and it did much better. The re-flash made 90% of it disappear for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As far as I know the whole torque converter/judder thing is only happening when the car is in high gear at low speeds with part throttle. Maybe someone else that actually had the converter die can confirm this. But for me it was really just bogging because it was in 5th gear with the converter locked up at very low speeds. Manually drop it into 4th and it did much better. The re-flash made 90% of it disappear for me.
Thanks carguy07....
I finally got my car's problem fixed. It was tires instead of transmission. I end up to change all 4 tires....:p

·
Registered
274 Posts
:mad::mad::mad:Hi,

Please let everyone know, this is an update NOT well thought of by Acura. There is a huge MPG drop especially since most non highway roads in the US are 40MPH limit, the 5th gear does not engage now until well above 45 MPH. This makes 90% of my driving to never use the 5th, now my Acura, which gave me 19 MPG in the city now only gives me 13 MPG! This is like driving a GM truck, terrible update, I want to demand a restore of the original. They should recall the tranny if there are issues, not make us spend more on gas for their mistake:mad::mad::mad:
Sounds strange, I don't get that kind of mileage after the fix. I average 18.5 on the hilly country roads and 23 mpg on the flat freeway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
OK with 2500 miles since "The Fix" I am consistently getting 17.3 mpg , city. The car used to get 19.2 mpg city.
{We have not done a "road trip" since haveing the transmission reprogrammed (we have never really used it in that capacity, the 3 trips taken were a tad over 23mpg) but I assume that my mileage on the highway would be the same.}

So, was the Judderectomy worth a 10% drop in fuel economy? To us- you bet. My wife kept complaining and I found myself constantly waiting for it to occur.

CAFE sratings are beyond my simple mind to understand the intricacies of the calculations - but the MDX was certainly dragging honda down but with the newer, smaller crossovers should be less of a problem.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
May have missed it but has anyone had a discussion with their Service Manager or DPSM regarding poor MPG after the update?

No doubt alteration of shift points &TC lock will affect some more than others with varying driving conditions - not to excuse the consequences of their fix.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A bit of an aside here, but I would just like to thank all of you and say how amazing this whole internet thing is for sharing information.

I bought my 05 last year after doing exhaustive research that told me only the 01-03s were bad and the 04-06s should be fine tranny-wise. But after a few months of driving I really started noticing the hard shift points so I have been thinking "oh sweet jesus here it comes...".

However, then I find on this forum that a recall letter has been issued (I never got it, it must have gone to the former owner and he didn't bother to let me know).

The only Acura dealer is over an hour away so I may never have found out because I do all my own small maintenance, therefor something really bad may have happened before I ever knew I could get this fixed. I just called the dealer and my VIN is included so it's booked to get re-flashed in a couple weeks.

Thank you to all of you who have contributed to this forum; you really helped me out a lot on this one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
For everyone interested, I have updated the Wiki MDX page to include mention of this thread for 05-06 models.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just got this done today at the not-so-local Acura dealership because the Honda dealer that's close wouldn't do it.

Certainly not a magic fix, there are still some hard shifts going on but time will tell if it's better slowing down from highway speeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just purchased a used MDX

So, I took a chance and bought a used 2006 MDX with 102k miles (no warranty). I thought to myself, it's an Acura, you can't go wrong. Then, the juddering started, which is odd since it didn't do it during the test drive. I think that is what it is. To me it's a grinding sound that last for 5 to 10 seconds. Is the juddering / grinding the same thing?

Anyway, I am going to find out if the PCM update was done? You would think if Acura has it on the lot, they would do all the recall work. Wouldn't they?

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, I took a chance and bought a used 2006 MDX with 102k miles (no warranty). I thought to myself, it's an Acura, you can't go wrong. Then, the juddering started, which is odd since it didn't do it during the test drive. I think that is what it is. To me it's a grinding sound that last for 5 to 10 seconds. Is the juddering / grinding the same thing?

Anyway, I am going to find out if the PCM update was done? You would think if Acura has it on the lot, they would do all the recall work. Wouldn't they?
They claimed it was done. So, I am not sure what is going on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the PCM updated on my 2005 MDX at 155000 km and the transmission vibration which was occasional at 1500 rpm has vanished. But I felt that shifting had become a little rough. last weekend, I drained and fill (x3) newer transmission fluid (DW1) at 157,700 km and noticed that rough shifting has significantly become smoother. Also changed the VTM-4 fluid. Will do the transfer case fluid change next week-end. All this maintenance was not possible without the help of this forum. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The '07+ has been pretty bulletproof. Up until today, my dealer had never pulled a single transmission out of one.

But the one I did had the exact same "rumble strip" symptom that's common to the 1st gen MDX. I wanted to replace the whole transmission, but corporate blocked my order and said to just replace the T/C and that "a software update will be out soon."

i check the TSB for 07-09MDX and found nothing related to that. do you know if Acura had release the update or it still in work? i also wonder if dealer tech can go into PCM and just program the parameter instead of waiting for complete ROM flash? thanks!!

81 - 100 of 102 Posts