Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
More people get this update done?

I would like to know if this update has done any good for the long run? Any opinions will be appreciated. Has anyone got this done and the update has made the problem worse? When that happened, did the dealer take care of the repair cost for swapping torque converter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
No one can give an opinion on the long run cause this recall is fairly new. But I am sure this will fix the issue for most.

From my tally, 8 people reported it fixed their issue. 1 other reported the same issue. 1 reported a slightly different issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 05 with 75k miles, how would I go about finding out if this vehicle had the update done before? The stealership I purchase it from did not really have any service records, although the carfax report shows the vehicle was serviced regularly. With this being said can I call my local Acura stealership and schedule the update? Are they to perform the update free of charge?
I purchased it as is/no warranty

When I test drove it/and when I drove her home I noticed tugging at slow speeds when coming to a stop. Salesman said it was normal :rolleyes:
All of my previous cars have been manual so I don't have any grounds to compare with.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone heard of this happening with the 2009 MDX? I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms as described in this tread but cannot find any other 2009 complaints. If others out there, will Honda/Acura apply this same PCM upgrade to fix the problem? It's very annoying to be in 5th grear while only goinf 30 mph.... Thanks for any help and/or info!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you. Sorry, I went right past that post as I was so focused on looked for "2009" or "09". Any advice on how to get my dealer to do something about this, before the PCM upgrade comes out? Any majic words to use? It's at the dealer now and they called me and said that nothing seems to be wrong with it....but it is certainly not working properly. Slips when accelerating in 2nd gear, vibrates terribly when stuck in 5th going 30mph, does this wierd engine surge thing (rpm's go up and down about 200-300 rpms) when going a constant speed (mph). Feels a lot like the TC when it went south on my old vehicle so I'm thinking it's the same.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ddonia I am so glad to read your description. It is EXACTLY like my 2008 MDX. I changed the transmission fluid at 35,000 miles, and it's always been there, but seems slightly worse now at 50,000 miles. The fluid looks normal, but it sure feels like a torque converter. Jumps ~300 rpm at low rpm, very sluggish unless I drive it hard.

It's funny, it works perfect if I drive it hard or above 50 mph. It's driving me nuts when driving smoothly at constant speed around town.

I just want to know if it is the nature of the beast and will do this to 100,000 miles, or if it will leave me stranded in the next year.... if so I'm going to buy a Lexus GX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's funny, it works perfect if I drive it hard or above 50 mph. It's driving me nuts when driving smoothly at constant speed around town.
QUOTE]

That's what the tech at the dealership told me to do when they called yesterday to tell me nothing was wrong. They said that it was/is designed this way to save on fuel and that you really need to get on it for it to drive smoothly...? Huh? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of designing it that way to save fuel? If you constantly have to slam your foot to the floor, just to get the thing to run properly, I would think that your fuel economy would go right to the floor too...Anyway, they still have my car and are going to test drive it again today. If they cannot feel what I feel then they said that I could take a tech and/or the service manager out with me so that I could show him exactly what I am talking about. We'll see where that gets me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
judder

What about 2003 I am having this problem the dealer says no update for transmission....I think acura should look after the older models before issueing updates for newer models????are they not using the same computer modules. i have noticed that after transmission oil change the transmission does not judder it is very smooth until you put about 1000km on it then back to the way it was before...judder....must be something in the oil the must an additive in the oil the wears or burns off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about 2003 I am having this problem the dealer says no update for transmission....I think acura should look after the older models before issueing updates for newer models????are they not using the same computer modules. i have noticed that after transmission oil change the transmission does not judder it is very smooth until you put about 1000km on it then back to the way it was before...judder....must be something in the oil the must an additive in the oil the wears or burns off.
I believe that Acura service bulliten 06-003 covered all 2003 & 2004 models. That bulletin has the following as the symptom "The vehicle shudders or vibrates between 35 and 40 mph." It goes on to list the probable cause as the TC and the corrective action as replacement of TC or both the TC and transmission. It also lists to update the "PCM with the HDS". Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
:mad::mad::mad:Hi,

Please let everyone know, this is an update NOT well thought of by Acura. There is a huge MPG drop especially since most non highway roads in the US are 40MPH limit, the 5th gear does not engage now until well above 45 MPH. This makes 90% of my driving to never use the 5th, now my Acura, which gave me 19 MPG in the city now only gives me 13 MPG! This is like driving a GM truck, terrible update, I want to demand a restore of the original. They should recall the tranny if there are issues, not make us spend more on gas for their mistake:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
:mad::mad::mad:Hi,

Please let everyone know, this is an update NOT well thought of by Acura. There is a huge MPG drop especially since most non highway roads in the US are 40MPH limit, the 5th gear does not engage now until well above 45 MPH. This makes 90% of my driving to never use the 5th, now my Acura, which gave me 19 MPG in the city now only gives me 13 MPG! This is like driving a GM truck, terrible update, I want to demand a restore of the original. They should recall the tranny if there are issues, not make us spend more on gas for their mistake:mad::mad::mad:

Um, no. It will still go into 5th a pretty low speeds (30 mph or so) just the torque converter is not locking up. And many of us were already driving around with 5th manually locked out for city driving and saw almost no change in gas mileage. I have a month of miles on mine since the re-flash and have not noticed any real change in MPG. In fact I think it will do a little better now that I'm not fighting it to keep it from lugging. I'm getting around 16 MPG right now with crappy Ohio winter gas, gummy snow tires and I let it warm up for 5 minutes or so when it's really cold or icy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Need help with repairs after PCM update!

Here's the story.
I bought my '05 MDX in Jan 2010, with about 82,000 miles.
I began experiencing transmission 'juddering' within a few months. I had my mechanic take a look in the summer but he couldn't find anything. I had planned on taking it back to him again, this time with me driving and forcing the problem to happen. It always occured about 25-30 mph with accelleration. I had a certified warranty, so I was praying it would be covered and that I didn't buy a lemon!
In fall 2010 I received the letter from Acura: take it to a dealer for software update to correct juddering. I was thrilled...the problem would be solved.
Had update done first week of Jan 2011. It improved problem yet I still had some symptoms (by the way I did notice a 1-mph drop after update). I tend to be heavy on the accellerator, so I didn't get the juddering much after the update. But when my daughter drove (drivers permit only, and she drives SLOW), it would happen all the time.
Back to the dealer. Tech drove with me so I could trigger problem again. He instantly knew it was the Torc Converter.
Here's one issue: they are having my (third party) warranty cover the torc converter repair. Based on other posts, the Torc converter seems to be related to the PCM update. Shouldn't Acura be covering this? Are they being sneeky by doing it this way? And if they're dishonest about this, what are they not telling me?
Here's the other, BIG issue. When they went in to do Torc repair, I also asked them to do the yearly inspection and an oil change. In the process of one of those things, they broke my motor mount. A bolt was seized and something cracked.
They've had my MDX for about a week now, and it will be another week at least. They have to get the body shop involved - I think it's to fix motor mount. I'm going to the mgr today to ask a few more questions.

Should I be concerned? Thoughts? What would you ask?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pcm upgrade

just found out from the dealer that this software update does not include the 2003 model years......still have to live with this judder....are they not all the same transmissions on the mdx????

·
Registered
74 Posts
Um, no. It will still go into 5th a pretty low speeds (30 mph or so) just the torque converter is not locking up. And many of us were already driving around with 5th manually locked out for city driving and saw almost no change in gas mileage. I have a month of miles on mine since the re-flash and have not noticed any real change in MPG. In fact I think it will do a little better now that I'm not fighting it to keep it from lugging. I'm getting around 16 MPG right now with crappy Ohio winter gas, gummy snow tires and I let it warm up for 5 minutes or so when it's really cold or icy.
The PCM update was done to mine by the previous owner just before trading for a new MDX and everything seems fine to me. I did take notice of when my 2010 TSX V6 shifts into 5th gear and it's virtually identical to the 2006 MDX. Granted the TSX gas mpg is in stark contrast to the MDX; TSX is averaging 25/33 for town/highway driving. MDX is getting about 17-19 around town & back rural roads but haven't driven on the highway for any long road trips yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi~

I think my 2005 MDX 92k has the same judder issue.

My "judder" feeling happens mainly between 30-40mph when I am not stepping the gas.

I haven't come back to forum for a while. Originally, I thought the "judder" was something on the road causing it because it seems it was happening mostly on a particular section of Route 1 around my home. Then, I thought it was my wheel/tire balance because my previous car has a very similar feeling with a tire balance issue at higher speed, and I have bump one of my MDX wheel onto crub a while ago.

After look at this forum, I think I should have the exact same problem.

I have already upgraded my software last month.

This "Judder" still happens occassionly (most often still on the same section RT 1 of NJ). For driving, it was not too bad to live with it. I asked my wife who sits next to me, she does not notice any feeling.

Question: Is it necessary to change the torque converter now? or I only need to change it when the problem become worse? Any suggestion?

61 - 80 of 102 Posts