Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Really? Have there been reported cases of failure?
The '07+ has been pretty bulletproof. Up until today, my dealer had never pulled a single transmission out of one.

But the one I did had the exact same "rumble strip" symptom that's common to the 1st gen MDX. I wanted to replace the whole transmission, but corporate blocked my order and said to just replace the T/C and that "a software update will be out soon."

·
Registered
455 Posts
anybody with an 04 get this letter. I noticed my 04 (105k) makes a "judder" at around 40-50 mph with a light throttle.
I'm on the fence about replacing the timing belt if the transmission is about to fail
:mad:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has anyone else with an 05/06 had positive things to report after the software update? The '05 I just bought (56k miles) is doing this. It sounds like the engine is lugging at low speeds, with a rolling metallic rattle until I either jump off the gas or stab it a little, just to unlock the TCC. I'm bringing it to the dealer for a few other issues this week, and will ask them about this as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For what it's worth, our dealer applied the TSB computer patch on our '05 Touring today and it made a world of difference. I was skeptical at first, but I'm a believer. The lugging is gone, and there's no more grinding or chugging. The TCC lockup points may have been raised a bit, but the biggest difference that I perceive is the lockup is much less aggressive. It'll let the TCC slip a little bit under load, and if you give it just a hair more throttle, it seems to unlock totally. Before, it'd just keep its nose down and lug away, unless you really mashed it to unlock it.

Very impressed so far with the fix!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I Just got the letter for our '06. I asked our dealer if this applies to only certain '05 and '06 models, and the service writer made it seem like all '05 and '06 models are affected.

So far at 47,000 miles, mine is showing no symptoms yet. I believe the '06 and up model years have the 7 year, 70,000 mile powertrain warranty though.

VIN: 34XXX

·
Registered
72 Posts
Product Update

I just got my letter for my 06 Transmission Software Update. I have 68,764 miles with no problems. My last 5 VIN is 09xxx.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Transmission Judder software update

This is the letter that was sent out:

Can someone fix this to show the image? All my other posts didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Will this address the 2009 mdx also?????

My letter says it only applies ot 2005 & 2006 models. I have 95k miles on my '05 and had my TC replaced about 20K miles ago and recently I've started hearing the dreaded "rumble strip" noise (a.k.a. "judder") on occasion, although very minor. My X is still under the Acura CPO warranty for another 10K miles, so I will be having the dealer thoroughly check out both the TC and the tranny when I go in for the SW update.
:(

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got a bit different letter

My letter was a bit different but stated the same issues were being fixed. I have never felt anything so hopefully this doesn't cause something unwanted.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
My letter was a bit different but stated the same issues were being fixed. I have never felt anything so hopefully this doesn't cause something unwanted.
I got this exact same letter a couple days ago. Will be bringing my car in to the dealer tomorrow morning.

For those that have gotten this update, do you notice any difference?

And now that there's an official "recall," they're acknowledging indirectly that there's a transmission issue. This could be leverage for those out of warranty to get Acura to pay at least a portion of the trans fix when it finally fails... wishful thinking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined this forum to try and find a fix for the shudder problem. I too got a letter in the mail for my 05. The TC has already been replaced once for the problem at 35K. It now has 60K and I just had the new software update performed. Now the problem is worse than before!!! Anyone else??

·
Registered
10 Posts
got the update done

been awhile since i posted, got the letter this wee, took it in for the software update, been driving mostly in d4 since posting at 73k miles or so, but the rumbling was always pretty mild in my case, at any rate this update didnt seem to really fix the issue, i got 115k on my 06 now, low level lugging still seen at 35-45mph with slow acceleration. all in all still drivable. beside this rather large hiccup from acura nothing but good things to say for this car, been always a loyal acura owner, shame that corporate kinda ignored the growing public complaints. Its obvious that the issue is bigger than they estimated for them to issue such a recall like this, but in my case it doesnt seem to really "fix" the problem completely. maybe it will take a class action lawsuit unfortunately for acura to really sit up and take note.... just my thoughts

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is about the only black eye I'm finding on the MDX. There might be mention of this made somewhere else on this forum but now I'm curious about the 07-09 and then the 2010-2011 models as well. Most probably don't have hi enough mileage to notice it yet. Certainly an issue to consider. So far it's looking like MDX or XC90 with the SRX in 3rd. The German rigs are pretty much off the list.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It's been a couple days with the updates installed and it does seem like the lugging has been eliminated. Will take some time to see how it effects the gas mileage.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well I have 85k on my 06, and its been exhibiting the symptoms for the last few months. I didn't think much of it as I thought it might have something to do with the AC. It's been awhile since I've checked in here to see what the issue really was, now I know. I took the car to the dealer today to have the recall done and told them about the noise. They said this should fix the problem, which it did, but I wonder if by driving three months (1200 miles if I harmed the transmission by ignoring the symptoms). I don't want a big dollar surprise 3 months from now. Will it help to do a transmission fluid change now, or would I be better off trading it in before I have a transmission failure?

21 - 40 of 102 Posts