Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my first Acura MDX.

I found two and I can't decide which to purchase, opinions welcome. Both are around the same price.

The first one is a silver 2004 Touring with 111K. Just had the timing belt and water pump replaced. I've been waiting a week for the seller to get the title for the vehicle - this is what he told me said he purchased it at an auction - it's a 1 owner car. Overall the vehicle is really nice. I test drove the vehicle and it ran smooth. It's a private sale.

The second one is a green 2006 Touring with 189K. Had timing belt replaced at 102K (via Carfax), one owner, serviced only at local Acura dealer (via Carfax). The car is being sold by a dealer. I haven't test driven this vehicle yet.

I'm thinking about going with the 2004 because it has lower miles. But, considering that the 2006 probably has a lot of highway miles @ 18K per year maybe that's a better choice because it's newer. Wanted some opinion on which one I choose.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
I would go with the silver one, and not only because of the mileage.
It has NAV, which gives you the backup camera. The green one has rear entertainment, but no nav/camera.
The green one has clear headlamps on passenger side and foggy on the drivers side, possible indicator of collision damage repair. Tires can be a big post-purchase expense, in a Boston winter, you want to have good tires, so consider the age and condition of the tires which I could not determine from the pictures.
You mentioned highway miles on the green 2006. How can you be sure that they were highway miles, which are still miles, although many perceive them to cause less wear and tear. Here's a way you can get a better idea in that realm. Look at the rubber cover on the brake pedal. Is it worn more on one MDX than the other? That is a good indicator of stop and go driving vs highway driving.
Good Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback!

I haven't looked at the Green one yet - it's about 40 miles away from my house and haven't had the time to go and look at it in person. After thinking about it a bit, those high miles really scare me. I'd be ok with 111K miles, but 180+ can spell problems.

From the carfax report the Green MDX was in an accident (right front). Carfax said it was towed.

Haven't got the VIN for the silver one yet. Once I do, I'll know what's up with that one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Based on the amount of info provided, I would likely side with the silver 2004 model as well. It's always better to choose a seemingly better maintained example over a newer one with more mileage that likely hasn't been as well maintained.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on the amount of info provided, I would likely side with the silver 2004 model as well. It's always better to choose a seemingly better maintained example over a newer one with more mileage that likely hasn't been as well maintained.
Actually, the 06 has been dealer serviced its entire life via the carfax records. Regular changes of fluids and service at the same Acura dealership. I'd say the 06 has been maintained much better than the silver one.

Finally got the VIN for the 04 silver MDX. The odometer reads 111K and the carfax report reports that the car has 262K miles. Needless to say, I'll be passing on the 04.

Not sure if I want to go with the 06 either because of the miles. Might just get my mercury inspected and see if I can get another year out of the car. The high miles on these MDXs in my price range really doesn't make the decision easy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wow 262K!!
Didn't see that coming. Be as patient as you can and keep looking, you will find the right vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow 262K!!
Didn't see that coming. Be as patient as you can and keep looking, you will find the right vehicle.
Yea, neither did I! Thank God I did a VIN check on the MDX at vehiclehistory.com. That showed the actual odometer reading. I think the guy bought the MDX and then switched out the computer unit with one from a junk yard because I tracked down the auction he bought it at and the auction listing had images. One of the auction images showed a fully functional odometer reading 262K.

I'm going to look at the 06 tomorrow. It really does look nice from the images. Being dealer serviced all its life is a big plus and the leather seats look really good. We'll see how that goes. $4200 for a 06 with 185K - not sure if that's a bad deal or not. Got the price down from $5K.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up buying the 2006 with high miles. The MDX is driving nice. Hope it lasts 50K more miles!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
In a way, it's a testament to the MDX that a vehicle with 262,000 miles can pass for one with less than half that! My '04 has 190,000 miles and could pass for one with half that. With the right maintenance (and it sounds like your '06 has that), you should get a LOT of miles. I use mine for AZ-NY road trips a few times a year, and it hasn't let me down once, other than by dropping a rear window when the regulator broke (a common, cheap, easy to fix problem). Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In a way, it's a testament to the MDX that a vehicle with 262,000 miles can pass for one with less than half that! My '04 has 190,000 miles and could pass for one with half that. With the right maintenance (and it sounds like your '06 has that), you should get a LOT of miles. I use mine for AZ-NY road trips a few times a year, and it hasn't let me down once, other than by dropping a rear window when the regulator broke (a common, cheap, easy to fix problem). Enjoy your new ride!
Thanks! Yea, the 2004 silver MDX with 262K looked like it really had 111K. So far I'm really happy with the 2006. Though, I'm still scared of the 185K on the MDX. I guess I'm old school (44 years old) and come from a time when you got rid of a car with 90K on it. Now vehicles are built much better and last longer.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I'm going to start thinking of my MDX as "high mileage" when the left digit flips to a 3... the maintenance on it so far has been simple / easy. I'm sure that'll change at least a little when the timing belt comes due again in 20,000 or so miles, but it's still easier than keeping an old-school points-and-condenser, no computer, carburetor engine running right!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a green '06 with 180K+ and it has been so great. I have had it since '09, put well over 130K on it and have only had to do an A/C hose, radiator, and regular scheduled maintenance. Its the best vehicle I have owned. In fact I usually keep a few cars at a time and many have come and gone as I like to fix and flip, but i just can't bring myself to sell my MDX! It has always been worth more to me than I could ever get for it. I wish you as good of an ownership experience as I have had.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a green '06 with 180K+ and it has been so great. I have had it since '09, put well over 130K on it and have only had to do an A/C hose, radiator, and regular scheduled maintenance. Its the best vehicle I have owned. In fact I usually keep a few cars at a time and many have come and gone as I like to fix and flip, but i just can't bring myself to sell my MDX! It has always been worth more to me than I could ever get for it. I wish you as good of an ownership experience as I have had.

Looks great! So far the MDX has been great. I need to do a complete fluid flush soon as I'm not sure when all the fluids were last changed besides the oil... have some time on that.

I'm also going to run some Engine Detox through it the next oil change. https://www.protecautocare.com/engine-flush.html I've read a lot of positive reviews and some videos on the Detox online.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts