Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 MDX is getting it's second transmission replacement in less than 30000 miles. The first one was replaced due to trans fluid leak, today the car died and diagnosis is it needs a new transmission. Any suggestions, should I get it fixed and sell?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Dude, that sucks. I love my 2004 MDX so much, I'd keep mine if the transmission failed. By the way I have 23K miles and no troubles (except sub rattle that I fixed with dynamat and stuffing).

It's really up to you. Your tranny is covered till 100k right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2004 MDX 2nd Transmission Replacement

1st one replaced at 76,000 miles under extended warranty and 2nd one just replaced by third party transmission shop at 146,000 miles. In both cases I had little to no warning prior to complete failure. Third party shop replaced the transmission for $3200 and gave me a 3 year, 100k mile warranty. Acura offered to do it for ~$5200 and give me a 3-year, 24k mile warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I posted about 6 weeks ago-PO740 code during 250K service. Wed it stopped being able to go from 3rd/4th or 5th. You could put in 1st or 2nd and shift back up to 5 and it still drove fine. I took it back to dealership today, pretty disapointed-they said torque converter failure-said color of fluid discolored but ok. Line pressure shows supply pressure is lower than specs, Likely pickup filter is clogged with material. Rec replament of transmission assembly due to mileage and condition. Said tranny and a new computer because it has changed hold on to your hats $7,000. No mention of any refurb or rebuilt obtions. Obvisouly they have written me off. I will check around.

Strangely tonight on the way home it drove fine, all gears shifted fine.

They only charged another $49 after charging $49 in October. I think they pulled the code and did very little else.

Its hard other than a few valvoline oil changes all services have been the dealer. Can't say I'm to impressed when you need them in a crunch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update on 2001-Independent tranny shop said converter shot and transmission is not salvagable. Their quote for a remanufactured Transtar with warranty is $3571. Not sure, putting that money in something that burns premium and averages only 15.5MPG. It has 253,500 miles. I am the original owner. Shop said I wasn't damaging it driving it shifting from stops etc. Will go thru the holiday and decide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 mdx, a while ago the green light in the odometer area that show that you are on drive ( indicate in which gear you are in, park, reverse, drive,...) start to flash, especially when reach 45 mph.
When I stoped the car an turn it of, it go away, then when I reach 45 mph again it start to blink again, too many mechanic have too many opinion.
I don't know what is the true.m

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tranmission problems

Hi Jeff,
Im curious what you did. My vehicle has been downshifting too easily and im at 284K with an 04' mdx. Don't think I want to invest too much into it.
VR,
Roel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts