Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have noticed for quite a while now that once I turn off my vehicle, the fan near the radiator keeps running for a few minutes. Is something overheating that would make the fan take a while to stop or might something be wrong with the relay that controls the function of the fan? I have no clue why this is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi guys,

I have noticed for quite a while now that once I turn off my vehicle, the fan near the radiator keeps running for a few minutes. Is something overheating that would make the fan take a while to stop or might something be wrong with the relay that controls the function of the fan? I have no clue why this is happening.

Hopefully others will chime in here but I think the fan can run for several minutes after you turn off the engine if the coolant temperature is on the high side.

I have a 2004 MDX and occasionally I believe I have heared the fan running after I turn off the engine when I have been on a long drive in the hot summer. I don't hear the fan running every time I turn off the engine.

...so something may not be quite right with yours. The first thing to come to mind is maybe the thermostat is possibly starting to fail and the coolant temperature is running high enough to engage the fan after the engine is turned off. If you have never replaced the thermostat in your MDX, I would start there. I am sure there are other reasons why the fan may keep running but the high coolant temperature is the only thing I can think of with my limited experience.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully others will chime in here but I think the fan can run for several minutes after you turn off the engine if the coolant temperature is on the high side.

I have a 2004 MDX and occasionally I believe I have heared the fan running after I turn off the engine when I have been on a long drive in the hot summer. I don't hear the fan running every time I turn off the engine.

...so something may not be quite right with yours. The first thing to come to mind is maybe the thermostat is possibly starting to fail and the coolant temperature is running high enough to engage the fan after the engine is turned off. If you have never replaced the thermostat in your MDX, I would start there. I am sure there are other reasons why the fan may keep running but the high coolant temperature is the only thing I can think of with my limited experience.

I am the second owner of this vehicle and at 178K miles, I wouldn't be surprised if the thermostat is starting to fail. Do you know the exact part number for the thermostat and is the process a simply DIY?

Thanks for the feedback!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am the second owner of this vehicle and at 178K miles, I wouldn't be surprised if the thermostat is starting to fail. Do you know the exact part number for the thermostat and is the process a simply DIY?

Thanks for the feedback!!

I don't know the part number but it's easy enough to find online. I bought mine thru an online acura supplier...they're pretty cheap. Easy to replace but it's been a few years now so I'm a little foggy on details. What I remember is follow the radiator hose up near the top of the engine on driver's side and you will find the thermostat housing attached to the engine - the housing is held on with a few bolts. The gasket is an o-ring. The radiator coolant needs to be drained down a bit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look for the part and see if that fixes the problem.

A million thanks Onid!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts