Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Acura MDX had 180K miles, and the AC stopped blowing cold air. Visual inspection found some oil (or maybe rubber) spill around the AC clutch area, and rubber derbies on the clutch. Turn on the AC, and I could see the clutch tried to engage, but just couldn't rotate the compressor much. Tried to turn the inner plate of clutch by hand, and it's turnable

Suspect the AC clutch was broken, and the whole AC compressor has to be replaced, because the AC Clutch part is almost same price as the AC Compressor with Clutch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is some pictures of the AC Clutch and Compressor. I'm going to replace the AC Compressor over the weekend, and would like to get some opinion on my finding of root cause :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After some research, I decided to order the new OE Denso AC Compressor from Rockauto, which comes with O-Rings and oil.

Basically, I'm looking at these 3 posts as references:
I have a question regarding the oil. Anyone know if I have to drain and refill the oil? Or, the pre-filled oil is enough?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For $230 for a new OE Denso AC Compressor, plus 3 cans of R134a, I finally replaced the compressor on the last weekend. Now the cold air comes back to the car, under 110 degree of sun. The old compressor is very dirty outside, but seems still in good shape.

The OE Denso compressor comes with 3 O-Rings, and pre-filled with 100cc oil. I might make a mistake on calculation and over-filled 2 oz more compressor oil. I heard more oil shouldn't damage the AC system, but may reduce the performance of the system. Just keep the finger crossed...

Basically, the only body part needs to be removed is the splash shield, and it's fairly easy to remove it. No need to remove alternator or anything else, except you replaces any of them.

Just one tip. After you done with the recharge, please be careful when removing the high side hose from the manifold gauge. As both valves are close when still connecting to the service port, it did seal high pressure refrigerant in the hose. Better slowly open one valve to relieve the pressure.

Happy D.I.Y., I do have a $700 check to deposit into my full frame DSLR fund now. LOL

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts