Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2004 MDX but we are having the hottest summer ever and my a/c unit suddenly only works part time. Refilled coolant but still doesn't work. Worked yesterday part time, but not at all today. Could it be the on/off button not working? Hoping it's nothing too expensive to fix. Am taking it in next week for the last 2 recall fixes at the dealer so guess I could have them fix it. Would you recommend dealer or outside repair?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I love my 2004 MDX but we are having the hottest summer ever and my a/c unit suddenly only works part time. Refilled coolant but still doesn't work. Worked yesterday part time, but not at all today. Could it be the on/off button not working? Hoping it's nothing too expensive to fix. Am taking it in next week for the last 2 recall fixes at the dealer so guess I could have them fix it. Would you recommend dealer or outside repair?
Please don't misunderstand, I don't want to be arrogant, but rather to be frank given what you have said, I would take it to the dealer, refiling coolant has nothing to do with the A/C. There are many things that make the A/C cycle, and it is always fun to figure them out. If you have the tools and knowledge it still takes time.

Now if you meant you refilled the refrigerant, now we can start a discussion.

Questions....

1. How did you know the refrigerant was low to begin with? Overcharged is just as bad as empty, and those fancy blue bottles at the auto parts store, can't properly tell you what your system is doing.
2. Do you have test gauges? You really need to know the pressures, in my opinion to properly diagnose what is going on.
3. Did you pull a vacuum on it, before you filled it? Air in the system is not only damaging to parts over time, due to moisture being present, it also kills system performance.
4. Do you have a vent thermometer? This way you know what temps really are.
Set your AC to 60 degrees.
5. When the A/C isn't cooling, does the compressor run, I.E. the clutch on the front is spinning vs. stopped? This will tell us if the compressor is commanded off, meaning an electrical issue, either problem, or purposeful (safety switch), or if the compressor or some other gaseous component isn't working right.
5. If the clutch starts and stops, does one or both of the cooling fans (on the radiator) follow the cycling in the same pattern, at the same time? This will possible help isolate if the A/C control unit is commanding the compressor off, or if a safety device is, but I have to review the electrical diagrams to verify.
6. What RPM is the engine running when the A/C doesn't work? At low engine idle the A/C is weak at best, and if you have black interior, well forget it, this is considered normal by Honda.

That should help you get started, or convince you to take it to the dealer, as this doesn't fix anything, but only starts us down a path.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an ongoing heat issue which even when I turn Climate control off it still blows warm air into the cabin via the ducts underneath my leg and also defroster and vents. Replaced the HCV last year any ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts