Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Edmunds.com : http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/83157/article.html

I don't like the looks too much, but as always, will reserve judgement till I see one in the real world, since unlike female models, cars ALWAYS look better in person than in the pictures. ;)

Anyway MDX still has it beat, although this has cool features like adaptive suspension, swiveling headlights, and xenons. Alas the price ends up like 4-5K over a fully equipped MDX, so there ain't no free lunch.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh

It is obvious LExus is sweating about the MDX's success. They are offering the RX330 with rear-view camera (hey!), equal or near equal space inside (hey!), VERY similar gas mileage (hey!) and VERY similar performance (supposedly, as even with only 230 horses it weights 350 lbs less than an MDX).

All in all I can't beating it down. It looks to be a great car, and will sell just as well as the RX300. Too bad it still looks kinda "girly" to me. Sorry females. :2:

·
Registered
67 Posts
This "girly" agrees that it looks "girly" and personally I like the looks of the old RX300 better than the new 330. I liked the RX300's lower-body cladding and really dislike the way they rounded the rear end on the new model and how it looks with that spoiler, uck:28:

If it had more room inside, better gas mileage, and we had a better local Lexus dealer I'd probably be in the 300 rather than the X. Gotta say so far I'm glad we got the X! (Did great in the snow today, even with the Goodyear tires)
:2:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Some of the new features I hope find their way to the next generation of 'X - adjustable HID system, adjustable suspension, large moonroof, power tailgate (not that I want every one of those, but it would be neat to see those options available). Let's see how Acura responds... :D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if Acura adds all those things, we can expect a fully decked-out MDX (currently 42500) to approach 50K right? Or at least the high 40s I am sure.

Well, the new RX330 will max at about 45 or 46K fully decked out. I am sure Acura wants to be sure it does not hurt itself in terms of sales if it raises the price of its MDX by even a few K.

But what is interesting, is that the MDX sells about 35K units per year thus far, if I'm not mistaken, while Lexus is aiming for 70K (double) volume of sales. This is the figure they get for the RX300 every year pretty much.

So...why does the RX300 sell DOUBLE as much as the MDX? Brand name? You can bet your sweet buns it has a big part to do with it. People DO NOT look at Acura as "spiffy" or "ritzy" or "cool" as a Lexus. That's a fact, Jack. Ask around, you'll see that's true if you're not convinced.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i agree...

i've been trying to figure out acura's niche for a long time now... and have failed. they obviously sell well, but...

i just don't get having 30k sedans, a 40k suv and then nothing between there and the 80k nsx.

it must work for them, though but i would love to see them produce a true luxury sedan.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I'll try the pro-Lexus angle here even though I find the RX330's styling to be unappealing.

Lexus says they're leaving three-row SUV's to soccer moms (nasty little marketing twit there), or folks who buy the GX470.

The new vehicle may be as fast as the MDX -- less horsepower, but less weight. Suspension has been tightened up. You can use the air suspension to adjust the handling and ride comfort -- according to Edmunds, handling as good as the MDX's if not better, but with the Lexus ride.

The RX300 already has side curtain airbags which the MDX does not, and now Lexus adds a knee airbag for the driver.

The RX300 already has xenon headlamps, which the MDX does not. Now the RX330 adds the cool swiveling technology for cornering.

The RX300 already has a significantly more luxurious interior than the MDX's "near-luxury" interior, and now the RX330 gets even more luxurious. Acura has us paying extra to get a cargo cover that can make strange noises, and Lexus has a standard cover that automatically retracts when you lift the liftgate. A power liftgate is an option in the RX330.

I don't think Lexus is sweating the MDX's success as much as we might like to think -- the RX300 in its last model year is still outselling the MDX, even though Acura has increased production.

$45k may be worse case, but you get what you pay for. E.g. adding the killer Mark Levinson audio system, which beats the bejeezus out of the pedestrian Bose that Acura sticks us with when you pay more for the "Touring" Package. Some folks here probably think "pedestrian" is being too kind.

I'm not crazy about its looks, but Lexus looks like it has another winner here. They've carved out a niche for the RX300 and it kicked butt in the marketplace, and the new one should too. Acura has better keep upgrading the MDX while somehow keeping the price down. On paper, the only significant advantage the MDX may have over the new RX330 is some more passenger room and more cargo room behind the second row seat (something that is quite important to families with kids, but I guess Lexus says that's for the soccer moms!).

·
Registered
1,453 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
More pictures of the new RX 330

First one:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts