Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some extra time off and wanted to drive the 101 highway from Los Angeles to Portland, and decided to build a bed platform for the 2004 MDX that's been sitting in the driveway. Thanks to @coloradomdxer for the inspiration, I never thought this car would have enough room, but it was very cozy. The window shades were key in keeping the vehicle cool in the morning, and allowed me to sleep in longer (pretty much black out curtains). Best of all, I could fit a full size futon into the car! Total cost of the project was around $350 with the mattress. I would highly recommend this to anyone who's on the fence.

Materials List:
1 plywood piece
2 - 2x4
8 bolts
1 - Roll of Reflectix
A few yards of the cheapest black fabric
Hot glue
Tri fold full size mattress from Amazon

The platform folded up, it's basically 2 pieces of equal size plywood, and allows for the seats to be folded up when not in use. Bottom allows for a storage compartment, which I used for storing my camera and laptop.

The two pieces of plywood were secured by sitting on top of a 2x4 stand with a hole for a bolt to slip in.

I used paper to create templates for each of the windows, and transferred those onto the Reflectix for cutting the actual pieces. Next I hot glued black pieces of fabric to one side to keep the outside windows stealth.

Breakfast in bed on the road

Overnight at the Blue Heron French Cheese company in Oregon

Side of the car with the window coverings installed, the windows just look heavily tinted.

Hope this gives someone the inspiration to try it!

Links:

Platform:

Window shades:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I had some extra time off and wanted to drive the 101 highway from Los Angeles to Portland, and decided to build a bed platform for the 2004 MDX that's been sitting in the driveway. Thanks to @coloradomdxer for the inspiration, I never thought this car would have enough room, but it was very cozy. The window shades were key in keeping the vehicle cool in the morning, and allowed me to sleep in longer (pretty much black out curtains). Best of all, I could fit a full size futon into the car! Total cost of the project was around $350 with the mattress. I would highly recommend this to anyone who's on the fence.

Materials List:

View attachment 117941

The platform folded up, it's basically 2 pieces of equal size plywood, and allows for the seats to be folded up when not in use. Bottom allows for a storage compartment, which I used for storing my camera and laptop.

View attachment 117942

View attachment 117943

The two pieces of plywood were secured by sitting on top of a 2x4 stand with a hole for a bolt to slip in.

View attachment 117944

View attachment 117945

I used paper to create templates for each of the windows, and transferred those onto the Reflectix for cutting the actual pieces. Next I hot glued black pieces of fabric to one side to keep the outside windows stealth.

View attachment 117948

Breakfast in bed on the road

View attachment 117949

Overnight at the Blue Heron French Cheese company in Oregon

View attachment 117950

View attachment 117951

Side of the car with the window coverings installed, the windows just look heavily tinted.

Hope this gives someone the inspiration to try it!

Links:

Platform:

Window shades:
Awesome job!! :eek::eek:(y)

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
148 Posts
Pretty neat! 101 is a nice route choice for a leisurely trip up the west coast. You saved a fair bit of money not having to stay in motels. I might do something like that with my old Toyota PU (with canopy) someday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty neat! 101 is a nice route choice for a leisurely trip up the west coast. You saved a fair bit of money not having to stay in motels. I might do something like that with my old Toyota PU (with canopy) someday.
The platform is really easy to build and really versatile, you should definitely try it out! I figured if I slept just 3 nights in the car, it would be more than paid for. Just wish I didn't have to use premium gasoline!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts