Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what the Acura design engineers were thinking when they implemented the auto wipers on the 2003 MDX.

In fact they are more of a safety hazard than a benefit. They hardly work at all in the snow as they appear not to be able to detect light snowflakes and work poorly at best in the rain. Your windshield can be completely covered with light rain for 20-30 seconds before they come on.

And the kicker is that you CAN NOT set the wipers to intermittent operation on the 2003 MDX and override this faulty AUTO mode. You either leave it at AUTO, put them on or put them off.

The marvels of new engineering!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ablatt said:
I don't know what the Acura design engineers were thinking when they implemented the auto wipers on the 2003 MDX.

In fact they are more of a safety hazard than a benefit. They hardly work at all in the snow as they appear not to be able to detect light snowflakes and work poorly at best in the rain. Your windshield can be completely covered with light rain for 20-30 seconds before they come on.

And the kicker is that you CAN NOT set the wipers to intermittent operation on the 2003 MDX and override this faulty AUTO mode. You either leave it at AUTO, put them on or put them off.

The marvels of new engineering!
Mine appears to work quite well. The other day I was driving behind someone who put on their window washers and the overspray hit my windshield. The very light droplets were all that was needed to put the wipers on.

I don't think the rain sensor measures surface tension of the windshield - just obstructions in front of it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Mine also work fine. Actually :eek: scared me the first time it went off from some light mist from the car ahead of me.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Mine work great in the snow and I was able to over-ride the auto feature by turning the knob to the on position and adjusting the intermittent. Also... there are rain sensing wipers, not snow sensing wipers. Just had to clarify.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Sorry... meant to say mine work great in the rain...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I find that I occasionally have to tweak the sensitivity of my auto-sensing wipers based on my car speed and/or the amount of rain on my windshield, but otherwise, the wipers work great.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ablatt said:
this is true.
i wish something better than this,
but as others said, my auto setting is pretty working fine i guess.

sometimes it scares the s#!t out of me!
:2:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Drove home in the (not too heavy) rain tonight ... wipers seemed to work pretty well. No adjustments necessary. Only once did I think they took to long to swipe... and as I was thinking it... they did!

So far I'd put the auto-sensing wipers in the "I could take 'em or leave 'em" category. They are nice if/when they work well/conditions are right. But... I've been driving for quite a while and up to this point I hadn't really thought to myself "Gee... if only I didn't have to switch on the dang wipers myself... now that would be COOL!" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
415 Posts
It was raining on and off in the SF bay area and I drove home tonight with no problem at all.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jswift2000

When you say

"I was able to over-ride the auto feature by turning the knob to the on position and adjusting the intermittent"

do you mean you can manually put the wipers into intermittent mode somehow?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just don't forget to turn off the auto feature when you wash the windshield. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
I kinda like the auto wipers except for one thing. BUGS! The wipers detect the smooshed remains and smear them all over. Doesn't detect all bugs but I'd really rather the wipers not come on when a bug or two decide to commit suicide.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We drove home from dinner last night in misty conditions. The auto wipers drove me nuts. They would either wipe too often in light mist or, as stated previously, FAIL to wipe for up to about 15 seconds AFTER the windshield was very wet. There was NO obvious logic to what the system was trying to do. This was the first time I've had that kind of trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I, too, have had a lot of trouble with the "auto" wipers. I wish there was a way to return them to timed intermittent wipers. They work very poorly in snow and often don't wipe often enough (even with senstivity set to the most sensitive position) in light rain/mist. My vote would be to go back to standard intermittent wipers or offer both auto or timed intermittent.

·
Registered
235 Posts
auto wipers-great!

i have to agree with most of you-i consider the auto wipers very useful and would want them on future cars.

on my 01 sequoia which did not have them i had to constantly agjust them- whether it was for change of speed or change in rain intensity.

no system is perfect but i'm glad i have them.

regards,

chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like them as well

I think they work pretty great. They will even go in to high mode if you are in a rain storm, or travaling along side a truck with a lot on water on the road.

They do not work well in snow because the sensor is up near the mirror. The aerodynmics of the car seem to cause any snow accumulation to occur on the botom half of the windshield, while the lighter stuff just flys up and over the roof.

If there is one area they don't work well it is in light intermitent mist. The offset here is that I have never been able to set "conventional" intermittent wiper is that type weather anyway, so I just resort to hitting the wipe once stalk when I need it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
intermittant?

Someone suggested they could get the wipers to work in a standard intermittant mode...?? Is this true? If so, how? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I was surpised, but I do like the wipers. I originally thought they were the most superfluous option imaginable. I needed the Touring package just to get the power passenger seat, and resented spending money for xray wipers.
I still resent spending the money, but I do really like the auto wipers. They automate what would otherwise be a distraction. Even my old Lexus doesn't have them, and it has power seatbelt height with memory. (Now, <i>that's</i> a superflous option.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also like the auto wipers. I wish that they could have done something different for the rear wiper though. I find that it is akward to twist the switch.

Bnuke

·
Registered
18 Posts
No problem with my wipers...they work great. Just remembet to turn them off before you go through the car wash.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts