1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2003 MDX purchased in April with about 10k Miles on it now.

My x has started to develop a "CLUNK" noise that I hear when I depress the brake pedal when moving at slow speeds for about 5-10 minutes after the car is just turned on.

It is very unnerving as I hadn't noticed this noise before...

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
jedi_gras said:
I have a 2003 MDX purchased in April with about 10k Miles on it now.

My x has started to develop a "CLUNK" noise that I hear when I depress the brake pedal when moving at slow speeds for about 5-10 minutes after the car is just turned on.

It is very unnerving as I hadn't noticed this noise before...
Are you sure you're not experiencing the infamous "brake click"? Do a search on brake click and you'll have enough reading to last a lifetime. :2: Here's just one example of a recent thread:

http://acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13193&highlight=brake+click

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not the brake click..i know what that is...

the click when you touch the brake pedal so it disengages the lock on the shifter....

im talking about a CLUNK that seems to come from the bottom/center/mid-rear section of the car.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
jedi_gras said:

the click when you touch the brake pedal so it disengages the lock on the shifter....

im talking about a CLUNK that seems to come from the bottom/center/mid-rear section of the car.
Does it happen just before you come to a complete stop? I have heard the noise you describe on my 02, but it is inconsistent and I can't repaeat it on demand.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
tbyrne said:
ace3, you better look again - "only one failure"??

I did a quick search under "Transmission Problems" and found at least 11 cases where owner's transmissions have failed and/or been replaced. The user names are: ES Pearls, ZOINKS, mdxpecting, rbh235, tangerine, spota, rspitz, tom54tay, phinphan, rcorbley and otyboy. mogurs claims a co-worker's tranny failed.

Even if a few are trolls, there appear to have been a significant number of failed transmissions on MDXs. Add this to the known problems with TL transmissions and Honda's decision to extend the warranties on Odysseys and TLs (& Pilots?), and you cannot deny that there is some fire beneath all the smoke.

- a concerned MDX owner
tbyrne,
I think ace3 meant 1 failure on the re-designed 03 trannys.:D

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
tbyrne said:
Sorry - my mistake. I'm just a bit rattled by the funky symptoms my '02 is exhibiting.
Hopefully this isn't the start of a trend for the 03s. We'll see...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
phins2rt said:

Hopefully this isn't the start of a trend for the 03s. We'll see...

The problem is, and this goes for all years of MDXs, this board is only a small representation of all MDX owners.
This has come up before and no one really knows what the transmission failure rate is except if it was very high it would make the media.
While I would like to think Acura transmissions are better than what is found in the average car, I would never presume that to be the case.
Were the 03 transmissions only re-designed for greater reliability or was it more a packaging change to save weight?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Good point. But I would think that improvement would be the primary goal, in light of the 2001-2002 occurances as well as the increase in horsepower. Maybe its only wishful thinking on my part.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, I'll be taking my car in for the 10k mile service tomorrow. I'll mention it to the tech and see what he says. (I'll be going to Greenwich Acura in CT)

This coupled with the fact that there's some plastic steering column thing that's broken and needs to be fixed and just rattles around behind my dash...is really irritating. (NorthEast Acura has my parts for this but im closer to NYC now...)

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
jedi_gras said:
Well, I'll be taking my car in for the 10k mile service tomorrow. I'll mention it to the tech and see what he says. (I'll be going to Greenwich Acura in CT)

This coupled with the fact that there's some plastic steering column thing that's broken and needs to be fixed and just rattles around behind my dash...is really irritating. (NorthEast Acura has my parts for this but im closer to NYC now...)
I bought my wife's TL there and they also do the service. Peter and Kevin are the service advisors and are both wonderful, you'll be in good hands.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Talked to Peter today.

He just shrugged it off as saying, yes there have been lots of customer concerns about the noise but all the trucks do that.

Implying that this is "normal" behavior...I'm not so sure about that.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
jedi_gras said:
Talked to Peter today.

He just shrugged it off as saying, yes there have been lots of customer concerns about the noise but all the trucks do that.

Implying that this is "normal" behavior...I'm not so sure about that.
Did you leave the X there for them to check it out?

·
Registered
840 Posts
jedi_gras said:

Jedi. Don't worry man. =)

The other guys posting are referring to what you are saying. The CLUNK is NOT when it disengages the lock. The car has a tendency to clunk when using the brakes at very low speeds during the warmup period (first 5 mins perhaps). It goes away, it's normal, don't worry about it. :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
You sure your not hearing the infamous fuel clunK. It appears that the fuel tank is not baffled properly and the fuel slams in the fuel tank making that "Clunk" in the mid rear section of the vehicle. I was worried when i firs heard it, cause you would think it would be more of a "slosh" than a "clunk" and never mind the brake click cause I have that too....;)
Problem # 21 submitted by soesed
Gas tank thud / sloshing
Registered 24 time(s). See registry log.

Do you have the same problem? Register it here!
Description
The Gas tank makes a thud sound when coming to a stop when the tank is full and a sloshing sound when it is partially full. Acura claims that this is a "feature" as the Odyssey also has this characteristic.
Symptoms

1 .(by sgtglok ) turn off your radio, make a sudden stop (make sure you are not doing it on the highway and there are no cars behind ya)

2 .(by tdnone ) When coming to a stop sign, if there is no car behind you, brake more moderately than normal when you are at above 30 mph. You will hear a loud thump or "slumb".

3 .(by photobri ) Thumping noise when you come to a semi-abrupt stop... Almost sounds like suspension creaking...

4 .(by mike x ) full tank to 3/4 full

Resolutions

1 .(by gasman ) stop slowly, when possible

2 .(by sgtglok ) crank up the stereo... and complain about the sound quality, if you are a meloman!

3 .(by jtdmdx ) Keep kids in back seat at all times!

4 .(by ostrowc ) Not a resolution but a suggestion. If the tank is full, one way to get the 'thud' is if the tank itself is displacing, kind of a loud speaker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts