Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2003 Transmission Problem

43K views 92 replies 50 participants last post by  carguy07 
#1 ·
I've searched the archives and I can't find anyone that has a similar problem.

My wife was driving the MDX last night and the transmission just 'let go'. While in drive, the engine revs but it acts as if the transmission is in neutral. No odd sounds or warning lights.

The interesting thing is that the MDX will move if placed in 1st/2nd gear and reverse works as well. Place the gear selector in 3, 4 or D and nothing. In other cars I know this is called "Limp Mode." But there is normally some other indicator or malfunction lamp to indicate limp mode.

The MDX has about 21,000 miles on it and has had no other problems.

Anyone had something similar occur?

#78 ·
I have already posted a message concerning my 2003 Acura MDX. I really think there is a problem with the transmissions, After the most recent class action lawsuit, Honda/Acura wins either way. It has already collected are money and left us holding the bag. Its paying out far less than what it has taken, In profits of Course. We purchased Acura's for the reliabilty of the vehicle and where not getting that.

#79 ·
If Honda/Acura was really concerned about its customers it would offer a 100,000 mile warranty on the Transmissions. After all it did have a problem with the 2001's and 2002's In which it did offer extended warranties, I really don't think the problem was fixed, Not sure if they really located the true problem with the trans.

#80 ·
Hi all! This is my first post......but I hope this will help some of those who have been experiencing transmission problems.

I just purchased my 2003 MDX in March. Had 118km on it.

I noticed after a couple of months that my transmission would not engage in gear when placed in drive. I sourced out this forum, and nonetheless, I was concerned that I had fallen victim too.

I took my MDX to my mechanic and explained the problem.

He had a look and examined the linkage (not sure what it's called) on the inside of the right front wheel and assembly. This is the end linkage of the shifting mechanism from the shifter inside the vehicle.

Since the end of this linkage is exposed, there tends to be a buildup of rust (at least in Canada due to weather).

He simply sprayed a lubricant (Emzone G2 Penetrating Lubricant) all over the end of the linkage, and I (while up on the hoist in the MDX), "exercised" the gears from "P" to "D1", slowly one shift at a time. Going back and forth through the gears. After several minutes, I could hear the shifter properly "click" and engage into the proper gear. I suppose since mostly people use D4 or D5, the other gears do not get use on a regular basis, and thus get "stuck".

It cost me $20......much better than $2000 or more. I love my mechanic!!! I will be sure to keep this part lubricated on a regular basis.

I hope trying this may help some users. I would like some feedback from anyone whom this may help.

#81 ·
Same problem

Hi all,

It's been couple years since I post in this thread. Back then, my tranny is very healthy. Not it shows the same problem as discussed here.

For the last couple months, the tranny would disengage for no reason. It didn't happen that often yet, but would be totally random. It could be while I start driving and slow down, or while I stop at an intersection.

So far, all I need to do is to shift to N then back to D5 and it engages. But I know something is wrong and it might let go forever someday.

I really feel this is an electric or wiring issue instead of mechanical. Since the car runs perfectly on highways.

I will take a look at the linkage as Mr. X suggested and see if it works for me.

I am just wondering, for these years, does anyone ever learned what the real culprit is inside the tranny if there is one?

#83 ·
My 03 tranny is finally acting up recently. It's not safe to drive anymore since it can "let go" easily. Most incidents are on local streets when slowing down or making turns.

The car has over 100k miles, though still very young from my experience with Honda, but it's way over warranty coverage. I don't think Acura will cover anything for me. So, I am planning to take off the tranny, take it apart and see if I can find anything. Worst case is that I replace the whole tranny.

I will take pictures or video of this task. Anyone interested to see? And, if you can provide any help on documents like manual, procedure, tips and tricks, etc.,that would be greatly appreciated.

#84 ·
My wife's 03 MDX is having the same problem. Of course, it does have 180,000 miles on it. At slow speeds, the MDX, on 5-6 occasions, seems to have shifted into Neutral. Hitting the gas just revs the engine. After moving back and forth from D <-> N it eventually re-engages. We've never used it to tow anything, and I'm pretty good about having the Tranny fluid changed regularly.

Does this sound like I'll need a new Tranny? Anybody got any shop recommendations out in San Jose, CA? I'm thinking a tranny will cost around $2K for this car. That sound about right?

richkuan, I'd be very interested to know what you find.

I'm going to have to take to the shop this week, and I'm pretty sure they're just going to tell me to get a new Tranny. :-(

#85 ·
Lim,

Sorry to hear that you have the same issue.

The dealer is asking $7500. Not sure if Acura is willing to help since it has more than 110K miles and 9 years. The dealer told me Acura may cover 10% or more, but is case by case and what affects the decision is unknown. 50% is very rare.

I went to a tranny shop, total cost : $2400 to repair. They know exactly what parts are bad.

I am preparing to take the tranny off by myself. I have access to a full service shop so doing that is no big deal for me and I had done that on my other cars before. I am ordering a factory service manual on eBay. Once I have time, I will go ahead do it.

Let me know how you are doing. Hopefully you can get some coverage from Acura. Good Luck!!

#88 ·
Try these fixes before you write off your tranny:

1) Inspect your linkage behind the driver's wheel. You'll have to pull back the plastic covering. It's toward the front of the car. You'll know the linkage once you see it. Spray it heavily with PB Blaster, work through the gears, spray again while someone keeps the brake engaged once you are in a different gear, wipe excess off, and then lube with a water-repellent grease. Usually the first sign of this problem is hard shifting.

2) Check your coolant catch tank. The fluid should be bright green. If it is brown, then you probably have a bad radiator. Since the radiator also serves as the Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) cooler in MDXs not equipped with a towing package, it is possible for your ATF to leak through into your coolant (green+red=brown). Usually the first visible sign for this problem is brown fluid leaking from the catch tank.

3) If you are not afraid to remove the center floor console, you can check the safety switches along the shifter route. The electronically tell the car what position your shifter is in. I don't know very much about these other than that. I have had a few prevent my previous cars from starting because the vehicle didn't "know" it was in park.

#92 ·
Any pictures of this linkage?

The Mdx is an 02 and I just had the tranny replaced about 20k miles ago. Warranty was oly for 1yr. I'm sort of sol. Mdx is not moving when in d5/4. When it does shift in, it makes a slight clunk.

These Mdx trannys are pos.

#89 ·
99% of Dealers = stealers IMO. Fortunately theres to much money in freelance auto repair w/their advocates.:eek: GRrrrrrr

#91 · (Edited)
Here's my history:

'03 MDX, 116K. First tranny probs at 90K. Dealer fixed the coolant/tran fluid intermix leak and triple-flushed the tranny. Got only $500 good will from Acura :( But it seemed to resolve the problem.

It worked OK until 116K. Now problem is complete tranny failure requiring replacement. Quote is $4000 from dealer (which includes a 10% discount), but no good will from Acura, due to already receiving one previously.

AAMCO quotes are $2495 w/90 day warranty, or $3250 w/3yr 50k warranty.

Here's my question:

My wife was surprised when I told her the new tranny would still be susceptible to the same problem (hence we should opt for the 3yr warranty).

That got me to thinking that maybe I'm wrong. Curious if anybody could *confirm* my understanding here:

First, AFAIK transmissions are designed for specific models. You don't just put a generic transmission in any car - it has to be THE transmission designed for THAT model (& year). The only option for our car is the transmission as designed by Acura. AAMCO told me they build their own transmissions, but using new parts they buy directly from the manufacturers.

As far as I'm aware, the '03 X tranny problems are *design problems*. So, regardless as to whether it is new or rebuilt, from Acura or from AAMCO, it still is a transmission with a design flaw (as opposed to a problem on the assembly line or poor quality part)

Or, has the '03 tranny been redesigned in any way, such that a new/rebuilt today is better than what came with the vehicle originally???

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.