Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the battery out while I'm swapping my intake, it was damaged so figured why not add a cool custom cold air intake. I've heard and read about there possibly being an external filter located behind/under the battery area. I'm not engine/motor/transmission savvy just yet. simply put ummm is this it?

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Take a look at this youtube video on a 2002 Honda Odyssey. Should be the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can anyone say they know what it is then if it's not the filter? that would be helpful too.
I'll watch the video next.
My thought was maybe they switched transmissions mid year during production in 03 and maybe that's why some people have them and others dont? Seems it's mostly the 03-04 that's in question.
I dunno, I just figured while I've got all this [email protected] out, if it's there I'll change it, but I don't wanna yank on something if I don't know a bit more definitely what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when did production of the 2003 mdx start? 2002?
When did it stop being produced? 2004? Catch my drift? haha, get it.... drift? It's an Acura! hahaha That's a knee slapper right thur. Sorry long day. #2y.o.TwinBoys

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Filters are internal from (I believe) 2003 onward, but you can add an external (preferably magnetic) filter in one of the tranny cooler lines. It'll be easy with that amount of room to work with the battery box out. That's really a good idea, since the trannies in our beloved MDXs are the weak link, and keeping the fluid changed and cleaned (and devoid of as many metallic particles as possible) will give you a higher chance of driving it trouble-free for hundreds of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyou idea what that little thing is then? anyone? I've got to order a couple things I'll add the inline filter to my list.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
That's a shift solenoid. Don't replace that. ;-)

IIRC, the tranny cooler lines in our MDX are 3/8". Installation is really just a "cut and splice" with the external filter. I don't recall which way the fluid flows though (the filters are directional).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts