Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 03 back in December privately for $2,500 at 225k. The car was meticulously maintained at Acura dealerships it’s entire life. In recent years the rack and pinion, alternator, radiator, timing belt/water pump/valve adjustment, spark plugs, oil pump seal kit, a/c com clutch, oil pan, and rear shocks were done. I’ve already managed to put 20k on so we’re sitting at about 246k I’ve been “flushing” out the transmission w/ Maxlife and lubegard which has transformed the car. The trans was also done 10yrs ago at around 100k and is a reman unit from Acura w/ blue bolts. The suspension is all original yes original control arms and front struts still reasonably tight!! The only thing that’s been replaced is the sway bar links and rear shocks. I’ve done fluid flushes and radiator cap and throttle body and various sensor/port cleanings.....The only thing I’ve replaced we’re the extremely dry rotted Michelin’s with a set of continentals, the high pressure power steering hose, and fixed the big oil leak which ended up being a fu**d up crankshaft seal which we believe was fault of the dealer when the oil pump was resealed and the oil soaked timing belt replaced at 230k. The car runs and drives great. I’m going to start commuting an hour and a half 4 days a week for college for almost the next 2 years and I’m wondering if there’s any particular habits like certain driving styles/techniques I could get into mostly too save the transmission from blowing and to last as long as possible besides the typical driving d4 for town and d5 50+ and “flushes” every other oil change... it shifts good but has a minor hiccup once in a while like a clunk but not sever usually undetected by passengers which has happened less every time I change the fluid. Im also going too submit an oil sample and was thinking of upgrading too 5w-30 for increased wear protection and longer life. And if there’s anything else I can do too make my Dory just keep swimming lol and yes she’s blue! I want too make it 300k and beyond. Sorry for the long post as well.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Sounds like you're doing all the right things. The most important thing is to keep the transmission fluid changed regularly (particularly at high mileage). You should also change the transfer case and rear differential fluids - not difficult or expensive.

The MDX is a ridiculously reliable vehicle, and as long as you keep the tranny fluid fresh, 300k miles should be a piece of cake. Don't get too twisted about the details - I have a buddy who "inherited" his folks' Honda Pilot (very similar drive train) at nearly 300k miles, and they'd done almost NO maintenance - fluids were black and stinky, yet it still got him around just fine. Letting his girlfriend drive it ended that streak though... ;-)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Due to high mileage, to avoid any trouble, I would say replace Brush holder for alternator as well as in the starter motor. Each will cost @$10.00 on eBay. When alternator brushes warn out you will have funny dash lights and one may not want to stuck on the road. For better mileage and drive, clean top cover of intake cover, EGR
Port and EGR valve. Google on youtube. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
2002acura
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing