Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2003 SS/Quartz/Navi/RES on Tuesday. Love the color and ride. However, we have two problems, one major and one minor. First the major problem. The Navi system keeps calculating all trips from Torrance, CA instead of the current location of the car. Everything else on the Navi works fine. Love the voice recognition. My dealer is clueless about the problem. They say they have no training on the system and calls to Acura have not yet been returned. The salesman thinks the system will need to be replaced while the technician feels it is likely an easy fix once someone who knows the system can tell him how to do it. So much for faith in the dealership's service dept. It was like dealing with dumb and dumber. The second problem is the driver's side auto up/down switch isn't working properly. Our salesman said they had a previous recall on one of the other Acura models for this problem but did not know of any problem on the MDX. The delivery was unbelievable as nobody knew how to work the Navi or RES. Here's hoping we get it fixed soon. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Greg Hahn:

___The Navi problem sounds like a small sequence fix … Remember; your salesman probably has less time with the 03 NAV and RES than you so give the dealership some time to figure this out. Did you read the NAVI manual yet? Look for a way to possibly reset the Navi and reprogram it to your own home address?

___Vic Pai, I am sure you have? Any help for Greg?

___As for the window control, this should be fixed pronto.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
If you pu tthe nav in regular map mode (to see your current location) rather than having it plan a trip, does it indicate your current location properly?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I, too, just picked up my MDX this week. First of all, I agree that the Nav. System is just remarkable. I've had this problem, too, with the CA town. But I just enter towns, addresses, or whatever and then I get a choice of what town I want to choose from. It's easy to get around the Torrence, CA thing....just have to figure out how to "officially" do it. Good luck! Let me know if you figure it out.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Torrence is where the designers live I think. At least very close so they probably used it as a test bed.

Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I had a chance to play with the system today and it seems to be working well. I am not sure what fixed it but it is no longer calculating the trips from Torrance, CA. I did reset my home address in the system and maybe that did it but they supposedly tried that at the dealership with no luck. I guess I won't look a gift horse in the mouth as everything seems to work. Now I just need to get the auto up/down switch fixed. I am going to have a hard time bringing the X back, I simply love it. Now I need to order some Zaino!! Thanks for the replies. BTW, Worm to answer your question the Navi always had the right location for the vehicle in map mode. Interesting, eh?:2:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Move to Torrance

I'm glad you fixed the system. I thought the next logical step was to move to Torrance, and then you wouldn't have a problem.:2: :2: :29:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Very strange, since it of course should be calculating your route from your current location (which is why I asked if it knew where you were). FWIW, both Honda/Acura and Alpine are based in Torrance.

·
3,109 Posts
mauigrl721 said:
I've had this problem, too, with the CA town.
mauigrl721,

have you set your home address yet? if you haven't, tell the system to "go home" and see where it thinks is home. i bet it'll say Torrance, CA. you'll have to break the news to it that its no longer Canadian :2:. ...at least it understands a little English :p.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Easy with the Canadian cracks. Especially if it was actually Torrance, CALIFORNIA?;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
zafer said:

mauigrl721,

have you set your home address yet? if you haven't, tell the system to "go home" and see where it thinks is home. i bet it'll say Torrance, CA. you'll have to break the news to it that its no longer Canadian :2:. ...at least it understands a little English :p.
I'll bet setting your home address fixes it. I set my home address first thing, and have never seen this problem.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Actually, there is a perfectly logical explanation for this!

TheWorm said:
Glad you got it fixed. Very strange, since it of course should be calculating your route from your current location (which is why I asked if it knew where you were). FWIW, both Honda/Acura and Alpine are based in Torrance.
I guess if I hadn't dealt with so many Navi systems I would've wondered too!.......However, when I had my Alpine Navigation System installed, the manual stated that the system initially thinks your in Torrance, CA, because, as you stated, Alpine headquarters are in Torrance. Of course, since I live in Torrance, this really did not matter, but I did notice that the icon was at the intersection of 190th street and Western Avenue, where the Alpine and Honda offices are - about 4 miles from where I live. Now, the manual said that you've got to drive around for about 20-30 minutes for the Navigation system to lock on to the satellites (and sort of get it's bearings). Additionally, if I remember correctly, I think it said that if this is not successful, it might be necessary to manually set the icon on the map at the current location). In my case it took about 15-20 min. of driving after which the icon "SNAPPED" correctly into position.

In Greg Hahn's case it could be one of two things. Either the Navi was taking it's time to realize where it was, or it could be that there was something obstructing the field of view of the antenna, which is located on the dashboard near the edge of the windshield and eventually initialized after getting a clear view.

This is just "educated speculation" of course! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problems Solved

Just a follow-up to all those who may end up with a similar problem. As it turns out when I called the dealer back to let him know the Navi was working fine and to remind him about the auto up/down switch he suddenly informs me that the switch is not broken at all. It just hadn't been set. To do this all you have to do is hold the switch down for 5 seconds with the window down and then up. I tried it and sure enough auto up/down is now functioning beautifully. So bottom line is my X had no problems other than a poor dealer prep. Not complaining - love the X.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts